Prop Michael Ward has signed a new one-year deal with Oldham for the 2017 season.
Ward has been with the Roughyeds since he was 16.
“I’m confident we’ll stay up,” the 25-year old said.
“The Shield wins against Workington and Swinton have put us in a strong position.
“The feeling in the dressing room is that we can pick up more points too in the five games we have left.”
A two-match RFL suspension kept him out of those Shield games but he hopes to be back in the 17 at Bradford Bulls on Sunday.
Ward said he is happy at Oldham.
“I’m with a great bunch of lads and we’ve got a good coaching staff,” he said.
“I like to think I’m playing well, so why would I want to move?
“I’ve been at the club a long time and I like it here. I’ve never played anywhere else and it would be nice to be able to say that again when the time comes for me to call it a day.”
Coach Scott Naylor converted Ward from a back-row man to an impact prop coming off the bench.
“This division is a tough arena,” Naylor said.
“He grew accustomed in League One last year to the job I wanted him to do and this season he has gradually gone better and better at a higher level to anything he was used to previously.
“He has adapted well. He is now a top Championship prop and that’s the result of a lot of hard work on his part and a lot of desire to be the best he can be.”