Lote Tuqiri could make a prompt return to the NRL if English Rugby Union club Leicester Tigers agree an early release from his contract.
The 30-year-old dual international is currently contracted with Leicester until the end of March but he could make the move to Wests Tigers, with whom he signed last year, in time for the opening round.
Representitives from the NRL club have made a formal request that Tuqiri is available for their opening round clash with Manly on March 15.
West Tigers Chief Executive Officer, Stephen Humphreys, said: “We have had some dialogue with them about the possibility of releasing him a bit earlier.
“If they decide to hold Lote until the end of March, we will live with that and respect that, but it would be a big bonus for us if they let him go.”
A spokesman from Leicester told AAP that the two clubs were negoiating an early release.
He said: “There’s a lot of balls in the air”
“There’s been no decision from either side.”