Toronto survive Siddal Cup tussle

Toronto Wolfpack have won their first competitive game in the Challenge Cup at amateur rugby league side Siddal.

The Wolfpack were made to work hard for their 14-6 in muddy conditions in West Yorkshire.

Toronto started the game well but found the Siddal defence in terrific form. In the first 15 minutes, they denied the Wolfpack on their own line five times.

And their defensive efforts were rewarded when they got the first points on the board. Gareth Blackburn slotted a penalty through the posts after 30 minutes following a high tackle.

But just five minutes later, history was made as Toronto Wolfpack scored their first ever Cup try. The combination between Greg Worthington and Ryan Burroughs finally worked with the latter crossing over in the corner.

Rhys Jacks was unsuccessful with the conversion attempt for a 4-2 Wolfpack lead.

Blackburn then missed the chance to get the first points of the second half as the Wolfpack were punished for another high tackle. It didn’t go dead but Siddal ended up with the ball, although they couldn’t score on that set.

But just a few minutes later, the upset was well and truly on as George Ambler managed to touch down a grubber kick.

Blackburn slipped in the wet conditions and put his conversion attempt wide of the mark, but it was a 6-4 for the amateurs.

But the buffer did not last long as Worthington reinstated the Wolfpack’s lead. He managed to get through a Siddal defence that was starting to tire following a big effort.

Craig Hall missed the conversion attempt but the pendulum swung towards the Canadians again.

The next try in the game was crucial and it went to the Wolfpack with just four minutes to go. Adam Sidlow managed to get through a rare gap in the Siddal defence.

Hall was successful with the conversion to stretch the Toronto lead to 14-6.

The only blemish for the Wolfpack was the sending off of Fui Fui Moi Moi for a dangerously high tackle straight from the kick off from the last try. Although the amateur side couldn’t make it count as they knocked on.

Despite being a man down, the Wolfpack managed to hold out for a historic first victory and they will be in the Challenge Cup fourth tound draw on Tuesday, where the Championship teams enter the fray.

Both teams league season’s start next week as the Wolfpack travel to the capital to take on London Skolars next Sunday, while Siddal travel to the other side of the Pennines to St Helens to take on Pilkington Recs on Saturday.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.