Thornhill Trojans 32-8 Eastmoor Dragons


Thornhill Trojans received a massive confidence boost with this victory over Eastmoor during the festive period. Going into this game Eastmoor were in second place in the Premier Division and appeared formidable opponents. However, a hat-trick of tries from flying winger Chris Walker put the Dragons to the sword and moved Thornhill towards Premier Division safety.
Chris Walker completed his hat-trick on the 47th minute of play and at this point in the game Thornhill finally appeared to have rediscovered their early season form. But taking nothing away from Walker’s personal achievement there were some other fine individual contributions to this success.
George Mack was in inspired form at scrum half as he worked tirelessly to create attacking opportunities for the Trojans. Although Mack didn’t get on the score sheet himself, he played a major part in creating scoring opportunities for those around him.
The return of Scott Dyson also gave Thornhill much needed on field direction. Dyson’s in field kicking was a key feature of this return to form for the Trojans.
Matthew Roberts was another player who stood tall in this muddy battle. Roberts efforts on defence were second to none and he never took a backwards step on attack.
The official man of the match was full back Johnny Campbell for his fearless efforts when taking the ball forward. Despite the boggy conditions underfoot Campbell demonstrated some wonderful running to make good ground for the Trojans.
With the game less than a minute old Thornhill registered the first points when Craig Holmes put over a goal after Eastmoor had been penalised.
But then the first try of the game soon materialised – and what a cracker it was. With Eastmoor on the attack and deep in Thornhill territory George Mack intercepted a pass to speed away. Mack covered over half the length of the field before sending out a pass to the supporting Johnny Campbell. Campbell in turn sent out a pass which sent Chris Walker sprinting away. With pace to burn Walker headed over for a try. Arguably he could have taken play nearer to the posts to give an easier conversion attempt. The goal was subsequently off target.
The sin binning of Eastmoor’s Matthew Rogers for interfering at the play the ball gave Thornhill an extra man advantage. It was during this sin binning that Chris Walker scored his and Thornhill’s second try of the game. With play close to the Eastmoor try line Scott Dyson sent out a pass which found Craig Holmes who in turn sent Chris Walker over for a try in the corner. Holmes converted.
In the run up to half time Craig Holmes kicked a penalty goal to see the Trojans lead 14-0 at the interval.
Thornhill started the second half in fine style by scoring a try. This try was created when George Mack made a scoot towards the try line but was held up short. From the play the ball Scott Dyson sent out a pass which sent Johnny Campbell dashing over for a try close to the posts. Craig Holmes converted.
No sooner had play restarted than Eastmoor spilled a pass 20 meters from the Trojans line. Chris Walker picked up the loose ball and sped away. No Eastmoor defenders could catch Walker as he cantered over for his hat-trick try. Craig Holmes converted to make the score 26-0 and put the game beyond Eastmoor.
However, the visitors refused to stop battling and gave Thornhill a scare with two unconverted tries. James Ganley caught Thornhill ball watching and stepped his way over for a try. Then as a final wake up call for Thornhill scrum half Kevin Brown nipped over for the visitor’s second try.
But it was Thornhill who had the final say when right at the death Craig Holmes kicked towards the Eastmoor try line. The ball bounced perfectly into the path of Liam Morley. Morley snatched the ball and went over for a try which Holmes converted.
At full time Thornhill were buzzing. This was the much needed victory they had been working towards and can enter the New Year brimming with confidence.