The Championship Chat: The Qualifiers Round 4

Leigh step closer to Super League
An absolutely crucial victory for Leigh against Hull Kingston Rovers on Saturday moved Neil Jukes’ men to within touching distance of a place in next year’s Super League. The Centurions ran out 25-18 winners but they went into the half-time break 12-6 down. Tries from Josh Mantellato and Ken Sio were backed up with two penalty goals before Sam Hopkins notched a converted score for the visitors. The second half belonged to the Championship side, who scored three tries in a six-minute period to take the game away from the Robins. Andrew Dixon, Matty Dawson and Josh Drinkwater all touched down to put their side 22-12 to the good but the Robins hit back in the final quarter through Matty Marsh. With just six points separating the teams, Leigh saw out the game professionally as Martyn Ridyard slotted over a drop goal in the dying embers of the clash.

Leeds stay unbeaten

Leeds eased their way past Salford Red Devils 30-8 on an emotional night at Headingley. The passing of Harry Jepson during the week had affected everyone at the Rhinos and his club managed to see their way past the Red Devils on Friday. The home side went into the half-time break 10-8 to the good following four-pointers from Jamie Jones-Buchanan and Kallum Watkins. Salford got on the scoresheet through George Griffin before Gareth O’Brien kicked a penalty goal. Watkins’ try was scored while O’Brien was off the field thanks to a sin-binning for a professional foul. Jordan Lilley settled the ship in the second half with a penalty goal prior to the West Yorkshire club running away with the contest as James Segeyaro starred. The former Penrith Panther got in amongst the tries on 56 minutes, just moments before Carl Ablett extended Leeds’ advantage. The final try of the contest came in the latter stages of the tie through Adam Cuthbertson.

Giants overpower Broncos
Huddersfield, with Danny Brough at the forefront of their attack, shrugged off the challenge of London Broncos at the John Smith’s Stadium on Friday. The Super League club won 40-4 against Andrew Henderson’s men, who gave a good account of themselves on the whole. The Giants were 10-4 up at the break following scores from Jermaine McGillvary and Leroy Cudjoe. Rhys Williams registered London’s only try of the match in the 19th minute. After the restart, Joe Wardle, Cudjoe, Michael Lawrence, Brough and Aaron Murphy all crossed the whitewash to bring their side to the 40-point mark for the match.

Batley edge past Fev
In the only all Championship match of round four in the Qualifiers, Batey came out on top against fellow West Yorkshire outfit Featherstone at the Fox’s Biscuits Stadium. The Bulldogs beat Featherstone 11-10 but they were 8-5 down at the interval. Wayne Reittie opened the scoring for the hosts before Luke Briscoe and James Duckworth both crossed the whitewash in response. Dominic Brambani sinked a drop goal just before the break and, strangely enough, that would turn out to be the difference in the match/ Jamie Foster extended Featherstone’s lead to five points with a penalty goal on 52 minutes but that advantage was cut into by Pat Walker soon after as he kicked a penalty of his own. With just over ten minutes remaining, Reittie scored what would turn out to be the winning try after a brilliant offload from centre Sam Smeaton sent the former Fax flyer away.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.