The Championship Chat: The Qualifiers Round 2

Leeds scrape past KR
It was a tough encounter at Headingley on Friday night but Leeds Rhinos came out on top 22-18. In a tight first half, the West Yorkshire club were 8-0 to the good after a converted try from Kallum Watkins and a penalty goal courtesy of Liam Sutcliffe. After the restart, James Greenwood notched a converted score before Mantellato levelled matters with a penalty goal of his own. Sutcliffe edged Leeds ahead once more through a penalty before James Segeyaro made it a two score game with a timely try in the final quarter. James Donaldson cut the deficit with seven minutes remaining, but former Penrith hooker Segeyaro had the nous to complete his brace and seal the win for Brian McDermott’s men. George Lawler notched a consolation try for the visitors with a minute left on the clock.

Leigh go two from two
Leigh Centurions beat Salford Red Devils 32-26 live on Sky Sports last Saturday and Neil Jukes’ men are in a great position, considering they’ve still got to play the two part-time clubs in the Middle Eights. The Centurions were 20-10 up at the break after tries from Reni Maitua, Cory Paterson and Gregg McNally as well as a penalty goal courtesy of Martyn Ridyard. Salford’s four pointers came from Mason Caton-Brown and Niall Evalds. In the second half, Robert Lui cut the deficit on 54 minutes before Ridyard kicked his second penalty of proceedings during the final quarter. Tries from Adam Higson and Matty Dawson wrapped things up for the hosts despite Salford striking twice in as many minutes through Ben Murdoch-Masila and Caton-Brown.

Broncos and Giants secure big wins

London Broncos got their home campaign in the Qualifiers off to a perfect start with a 76-16 hammering of Batley Bulldogs. The hosts were 30-0 ip at the break after tries from Jamie Soward, Daniel Harrison, Andy Ackers and James Cunningham as well as a brace courtesy of Iliess Macani. In the second half, Matt Garside got on the scoresheet prior to Macani completing his hat-trick in the 44th minute. James Brown and Alex Rowe responded with a try each for the Bulldogs before Rhys Williams notched a brace whilst Jack Bussey also got in amongst the four pointers. Chris Ulugia and Cunnigham exchanged tries in the final quarter and there was still time for Williams to complete his second half hat-trick. The impressive Mark Ioane capped off a great day at the office with the final try of the contest three minutes from time.

Huddersfield Giants also posted a great result against part-time opposition as they defeated Featherstone Rovers 62-16 at the John Smith’s Stadium. Michael Lawrence and Oliver Roberts got the Giants off to the perfect start with a try apiece inside 18 minutes before John Davies put Featherstone on the board with a four-pointer. Gene Ormsby, Ryan Brierley and Roberts all went over the whitewash before the interval as Huddersfield went in with a 28-6 advantage. Ukuma Ta’ai and Kyle Wood kept the ball rolling for the hosts as they both got on the scoresheet before Luke Briscoe replied for Rovers. Wood completed his brace before Davies was sent to the sin-bin for dissent. Ian Hardman scored Featherstone’s third try of the contest prior to Brierley, Ta’ai and Ryan Hinchcliffe scoring four pointers in the latter stages for Huddersfield.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.