The Australian full back had been out of action since mid-June after undergoing surgery, missing games such as State of Origin III in the process.
But the 32 year-old has been looking good in the off-season and Football Director Frank Ponissi has spoken of how well Slater is doing.
“Bill has been great, he started with the original training group back on November 2, so he is in great nick,” Ponissi told News Limited.
“He’s been running since day one and that contact has been getting more and more (contact) each week.”
He also says that Slater is targetting the Auckland Nines tournament as his comeback, although Ponissi admits Round 1 of the NRL is probably the most likely date for his return.
“We’ll see how he will go in the next few weeks, but we’re very confident he’ll be definitely available for Round 1 and hopefullt the Nines,” he said.
“That (The Nines) is his target and, at this stage, there is nothing to suggest that he can’t (play), but he’s not confirmed either way as of yet.”