SL moments: Wigan’s 31-30 comeback against Bradford

The biggest comeback in Super League history until the play offs of 2007 was 21 points. Wigan were about to change the record books as they came from 24 points down with 25 minutes left to win 31-30 at Odsal.

In the first round of elimination play offs, Bradford’s season was ended despite finishing third after the regular season by sixth place Wigan. Both teams had breached the previous year’s salary cap and were deducted points in accordance to the severity. Bradford’s two point deduction made no difference to their finishing position. But had Wigan not lost their four points they would have finished fourth and faced Hull FC in a home tie.

However Wigan still made the play offs at the expense of Warrington, who finished one point shy. The final Friday of the regular season saw Wigan needing to defeat St Helens at the JJB Stadium to make Warrington’s trip to Salford insignificant to the play off race.

The following week at Odsal, David Solomona gave Bradford the perfect start as they aimed to regain the Super League crown.

Solomona then showed off his footwork, as Mark Calderwood fumbled the New Zealander’s kick only for Tame Tupou is re-gather the ball and score for the Bulls.

Thomas Leuluai brought the score back for Wigan, but Solomona completed a first half hat trick to silence the Wigan away support.

Iestyn Harris thought he had won the game for Bradford to put the scores 30-6 with just over a quarter of the game to play.

But Brian Noble’s men had different ideas. 

Trent Barrett became too much to handle for the Bulls and influenced the Warriors to a remarkable win.

Mark Calderwood crossed for his first try after Steve McNamara had failed to see the warning signs, and he brought Solomona and Terry Newton off the field.

Calderwood and Harrison Hansen quickly scored another try apiece, and the game began to bubble into life with the Warriors only six points behind.

Calderwood raced the length of the field to complete his hat trick, and Richards converted to level the scores.

But Wigan looked the hungrier side going into the final moments, and it was Pat Richards who dropped the crucial goal that gave the Warriors the crucial one point lead to seal the game.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.