Scotland sensationally draw with New Zealand

Scotland have pulled off one of the most amazing results in years, drawing 18-18 with New Zealand in Workington.

The Kiwis were below par and caught unawares by a fiery and enthusiastic Scotland side. A crowd of 6,628 were in attendance at Derwent Park for this fantastic Four Nations clash.

The Bravehearts led late but a double from Gerard Beale looked enough to secure the win for the men in black. But with less than two minutes left Euan Aitken struck and Danny Brough converted the try to seal a sensational draw.

It was a great start from Scotland in the wet and windy conditions and they dominated the first 10 minutes. New Zealand then started to enjoy some possession but the Scots kept them at bay.

But in the 23rd minute David Fusitu’a struck. The winger was put through after Tohu Harris had busted through the middle.

Isaac Luke added the extras and the Kiwis were 6-0 in front.

But Scotland got their just rewards for their early endeavour soon after.

Lachlan Coote grubbered in behind and Lewis Tierney flew in off his wing to get their first spectacularly.

Danny Brough couldn’t convert from the sideline so New Zealand remained in front 6-4.

There were no more points in the half as it stayed at 6-4.

The Kiwis were rattled and the Bravehearts emboldened after the first 40 minutes.

After the break Scotland continued to impress, and a scuffle broke out in the 51st minute.

Danny Addy and James Fisher-Harris ended up trading a few punches.

In the 53rd minute Fusitu’a got his second try of the night after a quick shift to the right wing.

Luke’s kick missed so the buffer was only a converted try between the two teams.

Errors from the Kiwis continued to mount up and then Scotland struck.

Coote unleashed Matty Russell on the wing, he found Ben Hellewell in support and he dummied to score.

Brough converted and the match was tied up at 10-10 with 13 minutes left.

Scotland then won a penalty and Brough put them in front 12-10 in the 69th minute.

A huge upset was on the cards until Greg Eastwood busted through a few tackles and found Beale in the corner to score three minutes later.

Luke’s conversion failed so it was back to 14-12 with the Kiwis just in front.

Beale then crossed again, after a break from Luke, and they looked to have the game in the bag.

But Luke’s conversion attempt was wide and then Aitken crossed to send the crowd into raptures.

Brough added the extras and Scotland had earned a historic draw.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.