Scans confirm Burgess played Grand Final with two breaks

South Sydney Rabbitohs have confirmed that a scan has shown two broken bones in the face of Sam Burgess, following Sunday’s NRL Grand Final.

Burgess sustained the injuries in the first clash of the game, when fellow Englishman James Graham tackled him.

“Scans this morning have confirmed that Rabbitohs lock Sam Burgess requires surgery to repair fractures in his cheekbone and eye socket,” read a statement from the Rabbitohs.

“Burgess will have surgery this afternoon to have a plate inserted into his face to repair the damage.”

Burgess himself revealed that, although he is in considerable discomfort, the excitement of being an NRL champion is helping to keep the pain at bay.

“The cheek is pretty sore, the adrenaline has certainly worn off,” Burgess told 2KY’s Big Sports Breakfast.

“It is worth it for the feeling we got at the end of the game. This year certainly meant a lot to me being my last at the club.

“It is a feeling that will be very hard to replicate. I’m just thankful to be a part of it and given the opportunity at the club.”

Burgess is set to move to rugby union, and join Bath RUFC in England soon. That move has been delayed until his injuries heal.

“It will be a while, but that is the least of my worries right now,” the player added.

“Hopefully this face won’t be damaged for too long. I have to get it fixed and then crack on.”

Meanwhile, Burgess has also confessed that he did feel a little embarrassed when he saw just how overcome with emotion he had been at the end of Sunday’s game.

“There was a time in the game when I looked like a little baby, crying my eyes out,” Burgess told Nova 969’s Fitzy and Wippa today.

“It’s quite embarrassing, looking back at it. I watched the game last night.

“I took the ball in a couple of minutes after I’d cracked my cheekbone for the first time and I thought it would be a good telling sign if I was able to play and thankfully it didn’t really hurt too much.

“My face went numb — I think I did something to the nerves in my face. I (still) can’t feel my teeth or my gums. I might have damaged nerves.”

Due to the injuries, Burgess also had to play it cool when it came to celebrating the Rabbitohs’ victory.

“It’s been pretty quiet. I’ve had to pull up stumps pretty quick, to be honest,” he said.

“It’s dangerous with my face. I had a couple of beers after the game and on Monday but I pulled up pretty quick.

“Benny Te’o’s had a good go. We went back to my apartment on Sunday night and the apartment is a disgrace. I’m going to have to cleaners in there to fix it up.”

Burgess also had a friendly dig at England team-mate James Graham, whose head had collided with Burgess’s face and caused the injury.

“I think it’s the hair — the ginger hair,” he smiled.

“Growing up I think he must have got bullied so it made the skull a bit thicker.”

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.