Salford slip up against London

Salford could be playing in the Championship next season after a disappointing 19-16 defeat against the London Broncos at the AJ Bell Stadium.

Salford still need to win their final match against Batley and hope London lose against Featherstone to ensure their place in the Million Pound Game.

Niall Evalds had a brilliant chance to post an early score for the Red Devils but fumbled Junior Sa’u’s offload two metres from the whitewash, letting London off the hook.

After surviving some early pressure, the Broncos took the lead when William Barthau intercepted Michael Dobson’s pass before running almost the length of the field to dive over.

At the other end, Salford had the chance to reply instantly but Josh Griffin dropped Mark Flanagan’s pass within five metres of the try line to spurn an almost certain try.

The Red Devils continued to try and level the scores, Craig Kopczak with a strong carry before being tackled two metres from the whitewash.

A minute later and London continued to be resolute in defence, Kameron Pearce-Paul just managing to tip Robert Lui’s kick in behind out of play.

The home side eventually registered their first points of the afternoon with five minutes of the first half left, George Griffin collecting Dobson’s pass before crashing over under the sticks. Gareth O’Brien nailed the conversion to put Salford in front.

The Red Devils’ were ahead for all of three minutes, Scott Leatherbarrow with a four-pointer to ensure the Broncos would take a lead into the interval.

London struck first in the second half, Jamie Soward dummying to break the Salford line and diving across after Israel Eliab managed to offload the ball before he was pushed out of play.

Soward then added the extras to give the Broncos a 16-6 lead going into the final quarter of the match.

Salford continued to be the creators of their downfall, conceding another penalty which Soward successfully converted to further increase London’s lead.

A drop goal from Barthau continued to keep Salford at arm’s length going into the final ten minutes of the match.

Just as London thought the win was never in doubt, Griffin was put in by O’Brien to bring the Red Devils back to within seven points.

The game continued to come to a tense conclusion, Pearce-Paul making a vital interception to deny Griffin from grounding O’Brien’s kick and preserve London’s lead.

The Broncos were hanging on to their slender lead after Griffin scored his second try in as many minutes.

O’Brien missed the conversion to leave London just three points ahead, but that was enough for London to post the victory.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.