Salford City Reds 44-12 London Broncos

Salford have won three consecutive games for the first time in six years after thrashing London Broncos 44-12.

The Reds last won three games on the bounce under Karl Harrison in 2006, defeating Catalan, Huddersfield and Warrington.

And this run of form since beating Widnes in the second round of season never looked threatened. London failed to perform well enough and claim their first win of the season.

The opening 10 minutes was a tight affair. Both teams looked for an opening opportunity, which eventually fell to Salford.

Sean Gleeson created Salford’s best opening chance after the 11th minute. His pass to Ashley Gibson created an overlap, but the Broncos were quick to close down the winger. Gibson’s kick attempted to find Daniel Holdsworth, but the Broncos’ fullback Michael Robertson was one step ahead of the chasing Red.

Salford had momentum and the pressure finally buckled shortly after. Luke Patten found space and went off on a twisting solo run, before finding Chris Nero in support to touch down close to the sideline.

Luke Adamson was on the end of Holdsworth’s break to double Salford’s lead. Holdsworth had a poor first half with the boot, missing his second kick of the game. This conversion attempt came much closer to the posts.

Whatever Holdsworth could do, Stephen Wild could do better. Wild’s break along London’s right side opened up and Matty Smith was in support to swallow dive under the posts. This time Holdsworth had no trouble adding the extra two points.

However Salford weren’t invincible. Wild’s attempted 40/20 kick went out on the full, the only blemish in an otherwise perfect opening 40 minutes for Phil Veivers’ side.

London couldn’t capitalise on the added field possession, and Salford went the other end of the field to take advantage.

The Reds began throwing the ball around London’s try line showing attacking creativity and flare. But nothing is better than raw strength; just ask Iafeta Palea’aesina, who immediately from dummy half forced his way over the try line.

Whatever Rob Powell said to his Broncos side at half time, it certainly worked. London immediately took the game to Salford forcing a goal line drop out. Unfortunately they were unable to come away with any points, and things got from bad to worse when Liam Colbon knocked the ball forward on the first tackle of London’s next set.

Salford took advantage of Colbon’s error, and Holdsworth’s long pass to the wing was picked out by Sean Gleeson.

Salford weren’t finished for the time being, and struck back almost immediately. Gibson found an overlap on his left side, before passing inside to the supporting Joel Moon.

London had opportunities to score after piggy-backing down the field on consecutive penalties. However they forced ball into touch, and that seemed to summarise the Bronco’s night.

 The Reds then went to the other end and scored arguably the try of the night. Moon looked to be running towards the sideline, but his inside pass found Gibson who strolled over from close range.

Gleeson added his second try of the night before London managed a reply after 66 minutes of the game.

David Howell sidestepped over the Salford try line for a soft try, to sarcastic jeers from the Reds’ supporters.

Antonio Kaufusi mimicked Palea’aesina’s first half try to restore some pride, if only minimal, to the Broncos.

Salford tries: Nero (2), Adamson, Smith, Palea’aesina, Gleeson (2), Moon. Goals: Holdsworth 6/8

London tries: Howell, Kaufusi. Goals: Witt 2/2

Salford: Patten; Nero, Moon, Gleeson, Gibson; Holdsworth, Smith; McPherson, Howarth, Boyle; Ashurst, Adamson, Wild. Subs: Palea’aesina, Owen, James, Jewitt.

London: Robertson; Caro, O’Callaghan, Howell, Colbon; Witt, Gower; Kaufusi, Randall, Bryant; Bailey, Golden, Melling. Subs: Rinaldi, Krasniqi, Dorn, Cook.

Referee: Ben Thaler.

Attendance: 4,162

Half time score: 20-0

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.