Road to Wembley: Keighley 54-28 Barrow

Keighley romped into the fifth round of the Challenge Cup, thanks a 10-try victory over Championship rivals Barrow.

Paul March‘s side were too strong in attack for the Raiders, who will need to improve defensively under new coach Bobby Goulding.

In a part of Yorkshire where sunshine seems to be a rarity, the home side made a bright start and crossed for their first try after 14 minutes.

Winger Richie Barnett, a Challenge Cup winner with Hull in 2005, was the Cougars’ scorer, with half-back Danny Jones adding the extras.

Barrow soon found a strong response though, and two quickfire tries followed.

Firstly Dalton Grant crossed for a strange score, as a pass hit the ground before finding its way to the winger. Despite suspicions of a knock-on, referee Dave Merrick awarded the try in front of the travelling fans.

A superb conversion from Ian Mort gave the ever-vocal Cumbrians more to cheer about, and with the action going end-to-end they were celebrating again soon.

Keighley full-back James Craven spilled a high ball under his own posts, allowing Liam Campbell to profit. Mort was again successful with the kick and the Raiders led 12-6.

The home side were suffering from a spell of poor handling in both defence and attack, but they were soon back on the board.

Danny Lawton, who had knocked on in a similar position minutes before, went over in the corner, although Jones missed the conversion.

It would not matter though, as Cougars winger Paul White stepped up to score the try of the game shortly after.

The Jamaican international kicked twice before regathering and easily outpacing the covering defence.

Jones made the kick this time, and teammate Craven then went on to make up for his defensive mistake by extending Keighley’s lead further.

Player-coach March was instrumental in the build-up, coming into the line twice and ensuring Craven had an easy finish with an offload.

On the stroke of half-time Mort knocked over a penalty for Barrow to make for a scoreline of 20-14 at the break.

In the second period, Man of the Match Paul Handforth broke through to set up Scott Law for a try, before the visitors responded through Andrew Dawson.

March put his side back in control soon after, before the introduction of Ross Peltier put the result beyond doubt.

The giant forward immediately made his presence felt, and off the back of his first two drives the Cougars went in for another try through Brendon Rawlins.

The impressive Peltier then went over for his own score, after receiving a pass close to the Raiders’ line.

With 15 tries in total there was more to come in the closing stages, as Campbell and Grant both grabbed a brace for Barrow, whilst Barnett did the same for Keighley after prop Sean Hesketh had also crossed.

Keighley: James Craven, Richie Barnett, Danny Lawton, James Haley, Paul White, Danny Jones, Paul Handforth, Andy Shickell, Luke Haigh, Sean Hesketh, Josh Lynam, Brendon Rawlins, Paul March. Interchanges: Scott Law, Jode Sheriffe, Jack Lee, Ross Peltier.

Barrow: Ian Mort, Scott Turner, Ryan Shaw, Max Wiper, Dalton Grant, Dominic Speakman, Liam Campbell, Danny Jones, Mick Govin, Jack Morrison, Liam Harrison, Joe Bullock, Dan Toal. Interchages: Joe Burke, Andrew Dawson, Brad Marwood, Michael Dengate.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.