Rhinos roll Hull FC

Leeds pulled off a shock victory against league-leaders Hull FC last night, securing a 20-15 victory at the KCOM Stadium thanks to a late Kallum Watkins double.

The Rhinos have won five of their previous matches against Hull FC.

Liam Sutcliffe capitalized from a knock on by Mahe Fonua, going over on the far side to give the Rhinos a 4-0 lead in the third minute.

After 20 minutes Carlos Tuimavave scored the first try for Hull FC following a 40/20 kick from Marc Sneyd.

Then Kirk Yeaman touched down on the near side after Jordan Lilley dropped the ball.

Sneyd nailed the conversion to give the hosts a 12-4 lead with six minutes of the first half remaining.

Sneyd continued to have a major influence on the game, scoring a drop goal on the stroke of half-time.

Jamie Jones-Buchanan looked to have touched down early in the second half but the try was disallowed by the video referee, after he was adjudged to be offside following the rushed kick from Lilley.

Then Joel Moon rounded off a brilliant set to crash over in the corner, receiving the offload from Ryan Hall after a cross-field kick from Rob Burrow.

Brad Singleton thought he had crossed off for the Rhinos next, after Burrow’s kick was knocked back by Steve Michaels, but the video referee decided  no try after Singleton was found to have dropped the ball.

In the 58th minute Hull FC went 15-8 in front after Sneyd kicked a drop goal between the posts following Keith Galloway’s high tackle on Scott Taylor.

But Kallum Watkins brushed aside two Hull FC players to touch down on the near side in the 72nd minute to give Leeds hope.

Sutcliffe then converted the try to take the Rhinos to within one point of their opponents.

Watkins the grabbed the match-winner in style, scoring his 100th try for the Rhinos and his second in three minutes.

He avoided the challenge from Sneyd to put Leeds ahead and seal a come from behind win.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.