Raiders star stood down

Canberra have taken immediate action against forward Trevor Thurling after he arrested by police for drink driving.

It is understood that Thurling was involved in an accident in Sydney on Thursday evening and was arrested soon after.

The Raiders have stood the 24-year-old down from “all club commitments”, pending a court appearance next month.

Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner said the club was extremely disappointed with Thurling’s actions, which breaks a number of sections of the Raiders and NRL codes of conduct.

“The Raiders are very disappointed with Trevor’s actions in this matter and have taken appropriate measures by standing him down from all playing and club commitments until the mater is dealt with by the appropriate authorities,” Furner said. “Trevor has broken the Raiders code of conduct by drinking while injured and more seriously put himself and others in danger by his actions.”

The Raiders have taken a tough stance against wayward stars in recent months.

In August last year they sacked Todd Carney for a string of alcohol-related incidents while Bronx Goodwin suffered a similar fate in October after admitting two counts of assault.

Since then however Canberra have re-instated forward Joel Thompson following his not guilty plea to charges that he assaulted his girlfriend.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*