Queensland 25-18 New South Wales

In a game that was full of passion, pride and courage it was the Maroons who wore down the Blues to claim a 1 game advantage in the series.

From the fist set of the game the Queensland defence was ferocious, with debutant Brett White, copping a real bell ringer from Dallas Johnson and Tony Carroll and the claret was already flowing.

It was on 3 minutes and from their first possession, the Maroons marched up field and Inglis scored out wide, from a Jonathon Thurston Cross field kick, which he brilliantly converted from the side line to snatch an early 6-0 lead.  

NSW responded well to the horror start with some good football and on 10 minutes it was Braith Anasta who sent Nathan Hindmarsh in for a try, converted by Jamie Lyons.

The Queensland defence was ruthless but penalties from high shots and dangerous tackles gave NSW good field position and it was Matt Cooper who out stripped the Queensland cover to score out wide, which again Lyons converted to take a 6-12 lead.

The Maroons should have been well in front with centre Bell fumbling the ball as he crossed the line, Steven Price having a good try disallowed for a forward pass and Nate Miles and Cameron Smith just being held short of the line.

It was the Blues however, who chalked up the points with Lyons converting a penalty making the score 6-14 and with the hooter still sounding, the young Paramatta winger Jarryd Hayne, collected the ball from a kick through, raced into the Maroons half, then kicked and re-gathered the ball, leaving the Queensland cover for dead, to score a sensational try with the last play of the half.

Jamie Lyons could not repeat his earlier efforts and the half time score was 6-18 to the Blues at half time.

Queensland came out in the second 40 with the intensity and mental toughness of champions.  The pack was totally dominant and the half back combination of Thurston and Lockyer was awesome.

Veteran Steve Price was immense, picking up a deserved try. The Queensland pack was steamrollering the NSW counterparts despite good performances from Andrew Ryan, Steve Simpson, Luke Bailey and Anthony Minachello it was the Maroons who were winning the collisions and the battle for field position.

The comeback started on the 50 minutes when ill discipline and errors from the Blues gifted the Maroons field position which they never really rescinded.

Flying wing man Greg Inglis got his second of the game again marvellously goaled out wide by Thurston.  Seven minutes later Price crashed over from close range and the game breaker came on the hour mark, as 1st half hero Hayne on debut turned villain throwing a loose pass in his own 20metre area which was pounced on by Lockyer who scored under the sticks, completing the onslaught, in half that was totally dominated by the Maroons,

Man of the match Jonathon Thurston calmly slotted over a one pointer with time running out for NSW to seal the victory for Queensland who scored 19 second half points.

Queensland held NSW scoreless in the second half, the Maroon half backs Cameron Smith, Darren Lockyer and Jonathon Thurston playing Jarrod Mullen, Anasta and Buderus of the park.

Front row power house Steve Price along with forwards Toni Carroll, Nate Miles, Pedro Civoniceva and Neville Costigan provided the go forward and steel to allow the backs to play footy. The Blues outside line had no answer to the likes of Karmichael Hunt, Justin Hodges and Greg Inglis.

The Queenslanders produced a tremendous fight back in front of 52,498 fans at Suncorp Stadium.

Queensland lost debutante Antonio Kaufusi (knee) in the second half, while the Blues lost forward Willie Mason (hamstring) in the first half, although the Bulldogs' forward returned in the second half but had little impact.

Blues utility Kurt Gidley also failed to see out his debut, leaving the field in the second half with a dislocated shoulder.

Queensland forwards Nate Myles and Dallas Johnson were put on report for lifting Blues forward Brett White in the ninth minute and two high tackles from Toni Carroll will also be reviewed by the disciplinary board this week.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.