Pryce hat-trick not enough as Bulls tie with Reds

Karl Pryce’s hat trick wasn’t enough to give the Bulls the win as they took only a point back to Odsal with a 20-all draw against Salford.

The wet and greasy conditions made the game less attractive, both sides suffered heavily in the error count making a draw a fair result.

Salford got the first points on the score board, Adam Sidlow powered over the line from short range on the back of a repeat set of six for the Reds. 

Both sides had excellent opportunities to score throughout the first half. Matty Smith’s grubber kick was meant to find Jodie Broughton, instead it found touch. Bryn Hargreaves was unlucky not to have the right support as his offload instead found the floor at the other end of the field.

But the Bulls finally grabbed the second try of the game eight minutes before half time. Quick hands from the Bradford players across the line found Karl Pryce to score in the corner.

Then the Bulls, three minutes later, went ahead with another try from Pryce. A looping pass found the former Wigan winger in the corner again, and Salford went into half time four points behind.

It was a scenario that looked unlikely earlier in the game considering the only Bulls up until now had been unable to keep hold of the ball.

Salford struck back first in the second half, Danny Williams was able to level the sores after collecting a very wayward Sean Gleeson offload. 

That try levelled the game, but Karl Pryce quickly scored his hat trick, again in the left hand corner.

Williams levelled the scores, this time at 14-all, as the ball was passed from centre field through the hands of Holdsworth, Gleeson and finally to the winger Williams. Holdsworth’s conversion put the Reds back in the lead at 16-14.

Both sides upped their defence as the second half ticked on, but the greasy conditions on the pitch meant handling errors were becoming far too common.

Karl Pryce intercepted Sean Gleeson’s offload and raced 55 metres before being brought down. However Salford were disorientated and Bradford were able to stroll in after kicking the ball to their right side of the field allowing Tom Burgess dived over the line under the posts.

With the Bulls narrowly ahead the last thing they needed was to be a man down. Oliver Elima provided the one man advantage for Salford after being judged to have committed a professional foul, and was given the yellow card with four minutes remaining.

Jodie Broughton quickly levelled the scores at 20-all as the Reds threw the ball out to their left side.

Salford couldn’t get the ball deep enough into Bradford’s half, but Luke Gale was able to give the Bulls a shot at a one point win. However his drop goal barely made it off the ground and the game was over


Salford scores: T- Sidlow, Williams (2), Broughton. G- Holdsworth (2)

Bradford scores: T- Pryce (3), Burgess. G- Gale

Salford: Patten; Broughton, Moon, Gleeson, Williams; Holdsworth, Smith; Jewitt, Howarth, Sidlow; Ashurst, Adamson, Wild.  Subs: Owen, Palea’aesina, Boyle, Nero.

Bradford: Kear; Pryce, Platt, Lulia, Ainscough; Jeffries, Gale; Kopczak, Diskin, Hargreaves; Elima, Whitehead, Langley. Subs: L’Estrange, Addy, Manuokafoa, Burgess.

Half time: 6-10

Referee: Richard Silverwood


Wigan went clear at the top of the table after a 32-12 win at Huddersfield.

 Wigan scored tries from Charnley (2), Tomkins, Carmont (2), Farrell and Lima. But that wasn’t before the Giants got the perfect start from McGilvary. 

However Wigan’s three consecutive tries put the game beyond Huddersfield’s reach. Even Eden’s try wasn’t enough to spark the Giants back into the lead. 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.