Pilkington Recs 10-32 Siddal: Match Report & Second Round roundup

Pilkington Recs v Siddal

Siddal booked their place in the Third Round of the Challenge Cup with victory over fellow NCL Premier Division side Pilkington Recs at a windy Ruskin Drive.

The Halifax side adapted to the conditions quicker, and ran in four first half tries before Pilks could respond.

The hosts did pull two tries back, but another two tries before the end ensured Siddal’s place in the third round of the Challenge Cup.

Match Report

The visitors drew first blood five minutes in. A kick in the air got caught in the wind, causing problems for the Pilks defence before Jamie Kelly got the ball and went through to score. Richard Pogson missed the conversion, meaning their lead stood at four points.

Just four minutes later, Siddal doubled their advantage. They worked the ball out, and Fred Walker managed to get in under the posts. Pogson was on target right the conversion, pushing Siddal into double figures.

The hosts almost got themselves back into it soon after, but the final pass to George Hannon was called forward.

Just past the 20 minute mark, they were made to pay. Directly from a scrum in their own 10 metre mark, they were able to break up the pitch and Pogson was able to get over under the posts. He also scored the conversion for a 16-point lead.

Not long afterwards, Siddal extended that lead to 20 points. This time, Ian Davies was able to find himself in space and get over. Pogson scored the conversion.

The hosts then got off the mark five minutes before the break. Jordon Morris was able to spin over from close range. Kyran Knapper could not add the conversion.

HT- Pilkington Recs 4-22 Siddal

It was a lively start to the second half, Luke Riley found himself sent to the sin bin for the hosts after giving away a couple of penalties in the space of a few minutes.

Despite their disadvantage, it was Pilks who got their second try soon after. Tom Connick went for the line and managed to get the ball down under the melee of Siddal defenders. Knapper converted to put Pilks into double figures.

Just as the hosts seemed to be building momentum, Siddal grabbed another try just past the hour to put the game to bed.  Lewis Hosty managed to get free up the middle, and hold off the tackle of Owain Abel to score out wide. Pogson missed the conversion this time.

Siddal were then able to ramp up the pressure on the Pilks line and grabbed another before the end. After a couple of repeat sets on Pilks’ line, they managed to work the ball out to Dominic O’Keefe, who scored out wide. Pogson was back on target with the conversion attempt.

That was the way it stayed. Siddal advance to the third round, and they will find out their opponents on Tuesday.

Team News

Pilkington Recs: Abel, Hannan, L.Riley, Stanley, Houghton, Knapper, Connick, Key, Stevens, A.Morris, J.Morris, Lynch, Martin. Subs: P.Riley, Foreman, Clayton, T.Riley.

T: J.Morris, Connick

G: Knapper 1/2

Siddal: Walker, Kelly, Chatterton, Hosty, Scrimshaw, Pogson, Ackroyd, Milnes, Greenwood, Williams, Hinsley, West, Smithies. Subs: Ramsden, Smith, Davies, O’Keefe.

T: Kelly, Walker, Pogson, Davies, Hosty, O’Keefe.

G: Pogson 4/6

Challenge Cup Second Round Results

Leigh Miners 8-40 North Wales

Army 10-14 Navy (AET)

West Hull 16-18 Rochdale Mayfield

Hunslet Club Parkside 22-12 Stanningley

York Acorn 28-10 Wests Warriors

London Skolars 40-22 London Chargers

Read More: Rochdale to host Challenge Cup double draw

About Steven Hughes 454 Articles
Love Rugby League writer.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.