NSW edge Queensland in a thriller

NSW have won the final State of Origin game 18-14 with a dramatic late winner from Michael Jennings.

The Maroons were behind 12-4 early in the second half but scored twice to grab a 14-12 lead in the 74th minute.

But NSW denied Queensland the clean sweep when Jennings danced over to score with less than two minutes left.

In Paul Gallen‘s farewell match Blues coach Laurie Daley decided to start fullback Matt Moylan in the halves, with utlity Jack Bird on the bench.

Queensland struck early in Sydney, Greg Inglis touching down easily after just four minutes as the Maroons exploited some poor NSW defence.

NSW responded and started to enjoy a glut of possession and field position.

Tyson Frizell then barged over in the 21st minute to put the Blues in front 6-4. The impressive forward bagged his second try in just his second Origin game.

Then controversy struck when Cooper Cronk was sin-binned for a professional foul. The Maroons halfback held back a NSW player as he looked to touch down a grubber kick.

But Queensland’s defence stayed strong and the scoreboard remained at 6-4 at the break.

NSW enjoyed a 9-1 penalty count in the first half.

Early in the seecond half Andrew Fifita scored after the ball was hacked into the Queensland in-goal.

The Blues took a 12-4 lead but it didn’t last long as Fifita went from hero to villian.

Gavin Cooper crashed over to score on his Queensland debut and threw the ball at Moylan’s head in celebration.

Fifita retaliated by grabbing Cooper around the neck and then he was marched for 10 minutes in the sin bin.

Cooper’s try and Thurston’s conversion cut NSW’s lead to 12-10.

Disaster struck for NSW with six minutes left. Josh Mansour slipped as a bomb went up and Darius Boyd took advantage, grabbing the ball to score.

But the drama didn’t end there. Jennings struck with a match-winner after a James Tedesco linebreak and NSW edged the tight victory.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.