NRL Round Up – Round 20

Parramatta’s dreadful run of form continued with a 7-8 defeat at Canterbury.

Josh Reynolds’ first half score was all that separated the teams at the interval with the Bulldogs leading 6-0.

Jarryd Hayne levelled the scores with a try before slotting a field goal to edge the Eels in front.

But Trent Hodkinson broke Eels hearts with a field goal of his own deep in extra time.

A powerful performance from Melbourne saw them overcome Brisbane 26-6 at AAMI Park.

Maurice Blair and Jharal Yow Yeh crossed during a tense first half, meaning the teams were tied 6-6 at the interval.

But the Storm hit overdrive in the second period and thanks to scores from Justin O’Neill, Cooper Cronk and Blair, the home side ran out comfortable winners.

North Queensland overcame an 8-point interval deficit to triumph 28-20 over Gold Coast.

A first half brace from William Zillman ensured the Titans held a 14-6 lead at the break.

Ashley Graham and Brent Tate crossed before Steve Michaels snatched the lead back for the Titans.

But two scores in seven minutes from Gavin Cooper and Willie Tonga ensured the Cowboys went home with the points.

Wests Tigers fought back to defeat the beleaguered Sydney Roosters 19-12 at Leichardt Oval.

Despite an early try from winger Beau Ryan, the Roosters hit back with scores from Joseph Leilua and Aiden Guerra to lead 12-8 at the interval.

The Tigers notched two tries in five minutes from Liam Fulton and Blake Ayshford effectively killing the game as a contest before Benji Marshall slotted a late field goal.

Cronulla were kept scoreless against dominant Newcastle, falling to an 18-0 home defeat.

Kurt Gidley’s penalty was all that separated the teams at the break, following a penalty-dominated opening half.

But the Knights hit their straps in the second period grabbing two scores in the space of four minutes through Akuila Uate and Matt Hilder to put the result beyond any doubt.

South Sydney’s finals hopes are all but over after a crushing 48-16 defeat at the hands of the New Zealand Warriors.

Four consecutive tries from Bill Tupou, Shaun Johnson, Manu Vatuvei and James Maloney ensured the home side held a commanding 24-4 lead at the interval.

Chris McQueen crossed to give the Rabbitohs hope soon after the restart but the Warriors took control, notching scores from Joel Moon (2) Vatuvei (2) and debutant Pita Godinet.

Two missed conversions proved costly for Penrith who went down 12-8 to Manly in a tense match at Centrebet Stadium.

Jamie Lyon’s score midway through the half meant the Sea Eagles led 6-0 at the break.

Lachlan Coote and Brett Stewart traded scores and despite a last minute try from Winger David Simmons the Panthers couldn’t come up with the match-winning score.

Canberra produced the shock of the round beating in-form St George 24-19 in a thrilling game in freezing conditions.

The game looked all but over at half time with the Dragons leading 18-6 thanks to tries from Brett Morris, Matt Cooper, Ben Creagh and Mark Gasnier.

Josh Dugan scythed his way over before Blake Ferguson crossed out wide to level the scores.

Jamie Soward’s field goal looked to have sealed it for the visitors but Dugan latched on to a pin-point kick from Josh McCrone to steal victory.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.