NRL Round Up – Round 1

Sydney survived a second-half fightback from Souths to record an encouraging 40-29 victory.

After Braith Anasta and John Sutton had traded scores, the Roosters took control with tries from Anthony Minichiello, Joseph Leilua and Frank-Paul Nuuausala to lead 22-6 at the interval.

Despite a try from Sam Perrett, Souths fought back with four unanswered scores, including one from new signing Greg Inglis.

Chris Sandow’s field goal gave the bunnies a narrow lead until two late scores from youngster Tom Symonds sealed the Tricolours’ win.

Brisbane fell to an opening day defeat at the hands of rivals North Queensland 14-16.

Despite a score from Broncos rookie Jack Reed, the Cowboys surged into a 16-4 lead at the break thanks to scores from Michael Bani, James Tamou and Will Tupou.

Jharal Yow Yeh and Dane Gagai crossed for the home side after the interval, but the Cowboys held on for the win.

Parramatta showed gave an indication of their early season form with an excellent 24-18 win over the New Zealand Warriors.

Scores from Jeff Robson and Jarryd Hayne helped the Eels establish themselves a 14-6 lead at half time.

Jerome Ropati crossed for a second after the break, which was added to by Lewis Brown, but the Eels through Luke Burt, who notched a brace of tries, had done enough.

St George carried on where they left off in 2010 with a superb 25-16 win over Gold Coast.

Scores from Nathan Fien and Ben Creagh helped the Dragons establish a 12-6 interval lead.

Two more scores after half time from Darius Boyd effectively killed the game off as a contest although the Titans were able to register late tries from Ashley Harrison and Sam Tagataese.

Melbourne gave a statement of their intent with a scrappy but nonetheless well-deserved win over Manly 18-6.

Michael Robertson replied to a Matt Duffie try to see the two teams locked 6-6 at half time.

But the Storm showed their ruthlessness in the second half, registering tries from Chase Stanley and Dane Nielsen.

Canberra got their campaign off to a flyer with a 40-12 demolition of Cronulla.

Luke Douglas drew first blood for the Sharks but four unanswered scores from Josh McCrone, Dane Tilse, Blake Ferguson and Jarrod Croker had the Raiders in front 22-6 at the hooter.

The Raiders carried on where they left off in the second period, adding scores from Joe Picker, Daniel Vidot and Shaun Fensom.

Sharks hooker Paul Aiton was dismissed for an apparent head-butt.

Penrith crashed to a humiliating 42-8 home defeat at the hands of rampant Newcastle.

The Knights found no problems breaching the Penrith defence, scoring four unanswered tries to lead 22-2 at the break.

The tries kept coming after the break for the Knights with Beau Henry marking his debut with a well-deserved score.

Canterbury overcame a disappointing Wests Tigers to grab a well-deserved 24-14 win at ANZ Stadium.

Josh Morris opened the scoring with a long-range try to help the Bulldogs to a narrow 6-4 half time lead.

Tries from Frank Pritchard and Kris Keating were replied to by a wonderful score from Benji Marshall, but Steve Turner killed off hopes of a Tigers win with a late try.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.