Navy continue Challenge Cup adventure: Report & Third Round Roundup

Steven Hughes
Royal Navy Challenge Cup

The Royal Navy will continue their Challenge Cup adventure after an 22-8 victory over NCL side York Acorn at the United Services Ground.

They started quickly with a try after just eight minutes. However, York Acorn started building pressure and got back into it soon after. The Navy then extended their lead just before the break.

The visitors then got themselves back into it, and seemed to be wearing the Navy down. But two late tries made the game safe for the hosts.

Match Report

The hosts drew first blood after just eight minutes on the clock. Callum Cone put in a grubber kick close to the posts, and James Teixeira collected and went through the gap to score. Rhys Joel was able to convert to give the Navy a six-point lead.

A few minutes later, things got worse for York Acorn. Thomas Holder was sent to the sin bin for putting his knees in in the tackle.

Despite being a man light, York Acorn were able to build the pressure on the Navy line. With 25 minutes on the clock, that pressure told. They moved the ball from right to left, and Jordan Potter was able to get over in space. Anthony Chilton’s conversion attempt went wide, meaning Acorn still trailed by two points.

However, Acorn were not back in the game for long. Just a couple of minutes later, Danny Johnson got the ball, and was able to step around the defence and power over under the posts. Joel added the conversion to put the Navy into a two-try lead.

HT- Navy 12-4 York Acorn

It was an even opening to the second half, with both sides having chances to add to the score. The best of which fell to Matty Gaskell, who intercepted a ball and tried to pass to Kini Dakuliga, but he couldn’t quite take the pass in. If he had, it would have almost certainly been a try for the Navy.

Soon after, it was York who registered the first points of the second half. They worked the ball well once again, and Ryan Gallagher was able to put Josh Parker over in the corner. Chilton was again off-target with the conversion attempt, meaning the visitors trailed by four points.

But with the clock winding down, the Navy made the game safe. Sean Houghton went from dummy half, and was able to burrow his way under the defence and get the ball down. Joel added the conversion to extend their advantage to 10 points.

There was even time for another try for the Navy. A kick was allowed to bobble around by the York defence, and Gaskell was alert to get the ball down. Joel’s conversion attempt just went wide.

The Navy’s Challenge Cup adventure continues with a fourth round tie at Championship Batley.

Team News

Navy: Houghton, Haldenby, Coupland, Bartlett, Dakuliga, Joel, Cone, Griffith, Tilley, Parry, Teixeira, Lee, Taylor. Subs: Gaskell, Johnson, Butler, McKenna.

T: Teixeira, Johnson, Houghton, Gaskell

G: Joel 3/4

York Acorn: M. Chilton, Thompson, Potter, Gallagher, Parker, A. Chilton, Brown, Burns, Speck, Endersby, Hunt, Prescott, Holder. Subs: Lord, Bulmer, Swales, Rushworth.

T: Potter, Parker

G: A. Chilton 0/2

Challenge Cup Round-up

London Skolars became the second League One team to fall against amateur opposition, as NCL side Hunslet Club Parkside claimed a 28-6 win in the capital.

The other League One teams in action on Saturday were able to navigate their ties. Doncaster claimed a 20-0 win over Rochdale Mayfield, while Rochdale ended Lock Lane’s adventure with a 28-12 win.

Rochdale Mayfield 0-20 Doncaster

Lock Lane 12-28 Rochdale Hornets

London Skolars 6-28 Hunslet Club Parkside

Read More: Lee Radford throws support behind Lock Lane ahead of Challenge Cup tie