National Conference League Round-up – Week 7


HULL DOCKERS maintained their perfect start to 2013, returning to the National Conference League Premier Division summit following a 48-12 demolition of basement side YORK ACORN.

The undefeated Dockers led by just four points at the interval, though romped home in the second half as the visitors managed just one further score.

Craig Skelton led the way with two tries and six goals, the three-quarter being joined on the scoresheet by man of the match Steve Milne, Aaron Bradley, Kallum Birch, James Beaumont, Danny Ulyatt, Andy Taylor and Paul Fletcher.

In reply Matthew Woods and Ash Robson touched down for York, who sit rock bottom and winless after six games back in the top flight.

In hot pursuit, EGREMONT RANGERS ended THATTO HEATH CRUSADERS’ unbeaten run in a 36-18 verdict at Gillfoot Park.

Returning star John-Paul Brocklebank led the way with a stunning hat-trick, while Jonny Goulding, Kieran Glenn, Richard Farrer and Clayton Sutton all grabbed tries.

Shaun Quinn, who landed three goals, hit back in vain for the St Helens-based visitors as did Mick Ledger and Jack Jones.

Elsewhere, fellow Cumbrians WATH BROW HORNETS came from behind to sink EAST HULL 34-15.

The hosts trailed 11-4 at half time, with Carl Puckering pulling the visitors’ strings.

But Easts offered little in the way of a response after conceding five quick-fire tries early in the second period.

Peter Caddy, Mark Watson (2), Luke Davison, Matthew Huby and Karl Dixon (2) crossed for the Hornets.

The Rosmead Street outfit, meanwhile, had tries courtesy of Carl Sanderson, Carl Puckering and play-coach Craig Cook.

On Humberside, newly-promoted LOCK LANE recorded their fifth victory of the season as James Cryer crossed for a hat-trick to see off WEST HULL 36-30.

Former Dewsbury Rams captain Scott Spaven was present in the home line-up, having quit the Championship side in midweek, but proved unable to inspire the struggling Walter Simpson Park side.

Cryer’s triple was added to by a Nicky Saxton double and a solitary effort from Joe Groves, man of the match Danny Rowse adding six goals from seven attempts.

Aaron Spaven, Brett Turner – another ex-pro – Danny Swales, Paul Shaw and Matt Plummer all touched down for the defeated hosts.

WIGAN ST PATRICKS got back to winning ways, edging MYTON WARRIORS 30-22 on home soil.

Brad Smith starred for the hosts, gabbing tries and kicking four goals, while Stephen Simm, Dany Birkett and Andy Higham all crossed to complete their tally.

Kris Walker and Ash James claimed doubles in reply for the Hull side, but their efforts proved inadequate as the Wiganers held on for victory.

Man of the match GARETH BLACKBURN crossed for a hat-trick as SIDDAL put INCE ROSE BRIDGE to the sword at Chevinedge, winning 64-20.

Danny Patrice and Richard Lopag each scored twice, while Shaun Garrod, Mark Boothroyd, Danny Keane and Ross White poured further misery on the 10th-placed visitors.

Ince had Ryan Eccleston, Martin Butler, Kieran Eccleston and James Highton crossing the whitewash – but to no avail.

A dramatic turnaround saw LEIGH MINERS RANGERS overturn a 22-point deficit to dispatch relegation-candidates SKIRLAUGH 36-34.

Having raced ahead the visitors were 34-12 up at the break, but were left devastated as the Miners scored 24-unaswered points to clinch victory at Twist Lane.

Tom Saltmer (2), Mike Johnson (2), Joe Hodgson and Lee Nobbs scored what proved to be consolation tries for the Eastside visitors.

Leigh snatched maximum points through Tom Farrimond, Jonny Carroll, Danny Jackson, Jimmy Muir, Shaun McDonald and man of the match Scott O’Brien.



Wigan St Patricks 30-22 Myton Warriors
Egremont Rangers 36-18 Thatto Heath Crusaders
Leigh Miners Rangers 36-34 Skirlaugh
Siddal 64-20 Ince Rose Bridge
Wath Brow Hornets 34-15 East Hull
Hull Dockers 48-12 York Acorn
West Hull 30-36 Lock Lane




WIGAN ST JUDES moved five points clear at the Division One summit, holding off a late charge to defeat fellow title-contenders MILFORD MARLINS 30-24.

Danny Mills bagged a double and there were further Marlins scores courtesy of James Coates and Adam Fairhead, who touched down with just seconds remaining.

But St Judes, who led 30-6 at the break, had done enough to win thanks to the efforts of Scott Robinson, Michael Whittle, Paul Pendlebury, Stephen King and Gareth Thomas.

Elsewhere in the second tier EAST LEEDS demolished DEWSBURY CELTIC, winning 62-6 in an 11-try romp.

Promoted at the end of last season alongside Celtic, the Leeds club powered into an unanswered 22-point lead and never looked back after the break.

Jake Normington stole the show with a hat-trick and further scores came courtesy of Dale Pattison, Tom Sheldrake, Nathan Conroy, Kyle Quinlan, James Forsell (2) and Jason Priestley (2), who also managed 11 goals.

OULTON RAIDERS boosted hopes of an instant return to the NCL’s top-flight, brushing aside arch-rivals HUNSLET WARRIORS 28-10.

The out-of-sorts Warriors had Mark Holmes and Luke Rayner touching down.

But the hosts were no match for the visiting third-placed Raiders, who eased home through Aiden Bowden, Dane Charles, Matty Bullough and Tom Griffiths.

An impressive closing third saw ROCHDALE MAYFIELD to a 36-22 success at MILLOM.

Mayfield ended an initial 29-minute stalemate to gain the upper hand but, having been level at half time, the Lancashire side required a special effort late on.

Millom had Jordan Moyes, Paul Evans, Graham Lupton and Chris Warren crossing.

But Rochdale fought back well to succeed, with tries coming via Dan Kaufman, Joe Qauninci, Sam Butterworth, Eric Johnson, Matt Calland and Todd O’Brien.

Neil Wall scored twice as BRADFORD DUDLEY HILL claimed only their second triumph of the season at SADDLEWORTH RANGERS.

Bradford were 31-14 victors but were made to work for the two points despite further tries from Adam Jefferson, Cameron Gibson and Martin Southwell.

The Rangers responded in vain through Kendal Davies, who crossed either side of half time.

ECCLES remain winless and rock bottom following a 22-14 loss at home to newly-promoted WATERHEAD.

Dave Orwell starred for the visitors, who had Carl Sneyd (2), Dale Lowe and Terry Fitzgerald going over for tries.

Eccles earned unwanted consolation thanks to the efforts of Chris Smith, Mike O’Boyle and Andrew Muscat, who also added a goal.



East Leeds 62-6 Dewsbury Celtic
Eccles 14-22 Waterhead
Hunslet Warriors 10-28 Oulton Raiders
Milford Marlins 24-30Wigan St Judes
Millom 22-36 Rochdale Mayfield
Saddleworth Rangers 14-31 Bradford Dudley Hill



SHAW CROSS SHARKS got back to winning ways, producing a remarkable second-half fightback to dispatch OVENDEN 24-17.

The Halifax-based visitors raced into an 11-0 interval lead, but the Sharks battled superbly to eventually gain the upper hand.

Shaun Smith scores tries either side of the break for Ovenden, with Jason Dodd finalising his side’s try tally.

But the Sharks finished on top after second-half scores courtesy of Danny Annakin, Steve Talbot, James Rourke, Aiden Chandler and Chris Walker.

Early-season pacesetters NORMANTON KNIGHTS are now three points clear after limping to a 24-22 win at OLDHAM ST ANNES.

Despite leading by four points by the end of the opening period, the Knights were left clinging on as Oldham hit back.

Only a late Matt Wood score denied the Lancashire club, who had Lee Forsyth, Michael Cadd, Greg Worrall and Jordan White touching down.

Knight Wood was joined on the away scoresheet by Pat Waterton, Jordan Ratcliffe and Richie Blakeway.

LEIGH EAST thumped STANNINGLEY 44-22 to move out of the dreaded drop zone.

Adrian Dooston and James Noon each bagged doubles and there were further tries courtesy of Kieron Dainty, Dave Radley, Gavin Hunter and Mark Cahill.

Leeds side Stanningley replied through Martin McNiven, Dean Parker, Nathan Telford and Brad Nicholson, though their efforts counted for little at the end of 80 minutes.

WIDNES WEST BANK sit third after seeing off ASKAM 28-22.

The Bears, now unbeaten in two, trailed at the interval but proved their worth late on to ensure maximum points.

Dave Murphy, Jordan Barr, Alex Brown, Stephen Curphey and Luke Willings (2) did the damage.

Askam replied with tries from Mike Wilson, Jonathan Walsh, Rob Cockayne and James Duerden.

EASTMOOR DRAGONS slipped to a 32-12 defeat at the hands of ELLAND.

The visitors were all but home and dry at the break, leading 22-4, putting their hosts to bed early in the second half.

Ash Allman, John Talbot and Sam Evans each scored unconverted Eastmoor tries.

Though their efforts were effectively wiped out by Richard Crawshaw (2), Steve Booth and Fairbanks, Jack, Jorge and Oliver.



Eastmoor Dragons 12-32 Elland
Leigh East 44-22 Stanningley
Oldham St Annes 22-24 Normanton Knights
Shaw Cross Sharks 24-17 Ovenden
Widnes West Bank 28-22 Askam



KELLS went within a whisker of losing their perfect record at the hands of fellow newcomers COVENTRY BEARS, edging to a 22-16 victory on home soil.

The Bears battled right to the death, though, and were level with their title-chasing opponents at half time.

Lewis Smith, Gary Johnstone, Carl Schofield and Tyrone Dalton crossed for Kells, Ben Milburn landing three goals from four attempts.

But Coventry went mighty close to claiming at least a point thanks to tries courtesy of Rich Synott, Gavin Grant and Chris Dixon – the latter coming on 79 minutes.

PETERLEE PUMAS suffered another heavy defeat as previously winless CROSFIELDS eased to a 74-12 triumph at Helford Road.

Rock bottom, having conceded more than 500 points in their opening seven games, Peterlee found themselves 36 points adrift at the break despite tries from Phil Howe and Jack Adamson.

Crosfields prevailed as Matt Mahoney (2), Chris Burgess (2) and Hayden James (2), Jack Reid, Phil Brazendale, Rob Campbell, Nathan Hamilton, Lewis Bani, Dave Boden and Andrew Campbell all crossed for tries.

Keiran Whittle led the way with five tries as HINDLEY battered 13-man FEATHERSTONE LIONS 84-10.

Chris Scarborough, Frank Phillips, Kris Hersnip, Paul Hersnip, Darren Ackton, Rob Bailey (3) and Will Melling (2) were also seen touching down.

The depleted Lions, meanwhile, who trailed 52-6 at the break had consolation tries through Ricky Williams and Rich Frankland.

Kris Harrop orchestrated a hard-fought victory as UNDERBANK RANGERS edged WOOLSTON ROVERS 20-12 at The Cross.

The Rovers trailed 14-12 at the break, in spite of tries from Dan O’Brien and Tom Keevil.

But the kicking accuracy of Harrop proved vital, the Rangers half-back landing four goals, three being conversions.

Underbank’s match-winning were scored by Michael Lang, Dan Pawson and Harrop.

BLACKBROOK ROYALS came out on top in the fourth tier’s all-St Helens battle, a last-minute try sealing their 26-18 success at PILKINGTON RECS.

Danny Lynch, Owen Livesey and Kyran Knapper grabbed tries for the hosting Recs, but their efforts would prove inadequate.

Arron Hewitt, Jon Glover, Ste Parkinson and Jack Parker all scored for the victorious Royals, who claimed local bragging rights.

HEWORTH came from 14 points down to sink WIGAN ST CUTHBERTS 34-28 in an ill-disciplined encounter.

Gary Watkinson and Danny Moffatt were each sin-binned for Heworth and St Cuthberts, respectively, likewise Adam Caddie and Dean Jones were shown red for fighting later in the tie.

Kurtis Shaw, Earl Hurst, Mike Scrivens, David Baggerley and Matty Charnock crossed for Wigan.

But Heworth dug deep, sealing arguably their biggest victory in three years thanks to tries from Jack Hodgson, Chris Varley (2), Jonny Payne (2), Rich Rogers and Liam Braithwaite.



Heworth 34-28 Wigan St Cuthberts
Hindley 84-10 Featherstone Lions
Kells 22-16 Coventry Bears
Peterlee Pumas 12-74 Crosfields
Pilkington Recs 18-26 Blackbrook Royals
Underbank Rangers 20-12 Woolston Rovers

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.