National Conference League Round-up – Week 4



EGREMONT RANGERS remain league leaders following a sensational 28-24 success over Cumbrian neighbours WATH BROW HORNETS.

A brace from Richard Farrer in the final 10 minutes eventually proved to be the difference as the hosts continued their great start to life in the top flight with this defeat of the champions.

Ben Walker, Clayton Sutton and Alistair Leak were the other men to touch down for Egremont, whilst the reliable boot of John Paul Brocklebank was on target four times.

The Brow also crossed for five tries of their own, but crucially Peter Caddy was only able to improve two of them.

Richard Huby (2), Ryan Amor, Greg Dawson and Scott Pink were the Hornets to touch down but it was not enough for victory in front of a crowd of more than 1,200.

WIGAN ST PATRICKS kicked off the Easter action with a narrow 14-12 win over LEIGH MINERS RANGERS on Thursday night.

The result was in doubt right until the final whistle with a 50 metre penalty from Brad Smith clinching the points for St Pats.

Earlier, Andy Higham and Ryan Smith had touched for the home side and Smith and Anthony Griffiths had kicked the goals.

The Miners actually crossed for three tries of their own, with their goal-kicking eventually costing them. Martin Lewis, Sean Pendlebury and Rob Bradley were the men to touch down.

HULL DOCKERS had too much firepower for EAST HULL as the closed out an 18-6 win.

A Carl Puckering try and conversion were the only points for Easts, whilst Craig Skelton was on target three times with the boot as Lewis Smith, Danny Ulyatt and Sam Bowering crossed the line.

THATTO HEATH CRUSADERS crossed for nine tries as they cruised to a 52-22 win at INCE ROSE BRIDGE.

Shaun Quinn (6) and Chris Frodsham (2) tagged on eight goals between them and Casey Lee helped himself to a brace of tries.

Other Crusaders on the score sheet were Adam Walsh, Luke Bradshaw, Jamie Tracey, Martin Shea, Ste Woods, Dave Pike and Kieron Maddocks.

Ince – who were 3-012 adrift at the interval – did manage four tries of their own as David Hoctor, Kieron Eccleston and Michael Highton all went over and Chris Boylan kicked three goals.

LOCK LANE caused an upset with their 17-11 win at MYTON WARRIORS.

Last year’s defeated Grand Finalists has Ash James in form with a try and conversion, as well as a touchdown and field-goal from Kris Walker.

However, it wasn’t enough for a Lock Lane side who are acquitting themselves well in the Premier Division.

James Cryer led from the front with a brace and Tom Wood claimed a third try for the Castleford outfit, whilst crucially Danny Rowse tagged on two conversions and field-goal to seal his sides second win of the campaign.

WEST HULL produced a clinical display as they ran out 24-0 winners over SKIRLAUGH.

Tries to Dan Parker, Tom Radley and Danny Swales helped open up a 14-0 half-time lead and they continued to dominate proceedings in the second period with further touchdowns to Swales and Paul Shaw. Josh Hart kicked two goals to complete the win.

SIDDAL returned from YORK ACORN with the points following a 26-10 victory.

Shaun Garrod gave them a flying start with two tries in the opening 10 minutes and they added further tries from Richard Lopag, Danny Williams and Nick Smith in an accomplished display.

Gareth Blackburn slotted over three goals to maintain his points scoring exploits, meaning tries to Andy Gargan and Joe Budd – plus an Ash Robson conversion – were not enough for Acorn.


Thursday March 28

Wigan St Patricks 14 v 12 Leigh Miners Rangers

Saturday March 30

Egremont Rangers 28 v 24 Wath Brow Hornets
Hull Dockers 18 v 6 East Hull
Ince Rose Bridge 22 v 52 Thatto Heath Crusaders
Myton Warriors 11 v 17 Lock Lane
West Hull 24 v 0 Skirlaugh
York Acorn 10 v 26 Siddal



WIGAN ST JUDES made it four wins from four with a comprehensive 48-12 win at MILLOM.

Scott Robinson and Paul Pendlebury led the way with two tries apiece, whilst Barry Rothwell – a try and three goals – and Gareth Thomas – a try and five goals – were also amongst the points.

Nathan Jones crossed for St Judes seventh try whilst the Cumbrian hosts managed tries from Chris Warren and Steve Dawson in response. Paul Evans added the extras to both.

HUNSLET WARRIORS edged past EAST LEEDS 10-4 in a hard-fought derby contest.

Tom Crosby gave the Warriors an early lead but Ben Walkin crashed over to make it 4-4 at the interval.

The home side re-gained the lead when hooker Daryl Gaunt touched down and Gary McClelland’s conversion concluded the scoring.

MILFORD MARLINS came out on top 28-20 in an entertaining game against ROCHDALE MAYFIELD.

The Marlins ran in six tries via Richard Hulme, Matt Harding (2), Martin Loveridge, Adam Fairhead and Anthony Ward, with Josh Parle and Loveridge adding a conversion apiece.

Mayfield – who were tied at 14-14 at half-time – had a brace from Dan Kaufman and efforts from Matt Ovington and Matt Calland to show for their efforts, whilst Ovington and Aiden Gleeson both kicked a goal.

Danny Stanley inspired OULTON RAIDERS to a 20-10 win over BRADFORD DUDLEY HILL.

The stand-off crossed for three tries and kicked two goals in a 16-point haul, with Lee Gomersall adding the Raiders other try.

Hill – who had led 6-0 at the mid-way point – had tries to Jenny Smith and Adam Jefferson, plus a goal from Nathan Kitson to show for their efforts.

SADDLEWORTH RANGERS staged a huge comeback to beat WATERHEAD 18-16.

Rangers – who had trailed 16-0 at one point – produced a storming final quarter with tries to Liam Hall, Ethan Langhorn and Mark Brocklehurst – all of which Langhorn improved – sealing the win.

Waterhead had led with efforts from Carl Sneyd – who also kicked two goals – Terry Fitzgerald and Kieran Grannan.

DEWSBURY CELTIC powered past STANLEY RANGERS with a comfortable 42-8 win on the road.

Pat Foulstone stole the show with a four-try haul whilst Mike Foulstone, Liam Edwards and Josh West also touched down and Niki Crabtree slotted over seven goals.

Rangers trailed just 12-8 at half-time, but couldn’t contain Celtic in the second period.

They did however manage a brace from Joel Marsh.



Saturday March 30

Hunslet Warriors 10 v 4 East Leeds
Milford Marlins 28 v 20 Rochdale Mayfield
Millom 12 v 48 Wigan St Judes
Oulton Raiders 20 v 10 Bradford Dudley Hill
Saddleworth Rangers 18 v 16 Waterhead
Stanley Rangers 8 v 42 Dewsbury Celtic



NORMANTON KNIGHTS cruise to a big 48-6 derby win over EASTMOOR DRAGONS.

The home side crossed for nine tries in a comprehensive display with Jon Hodgson helping himself to a brace.

Paul Greaves, Matthew Wood, Thomas Carroll, Arron Butterfield, Richard Blakeway, Joseph Crossland and Tom Alexander all touched down, whilst six goals from Adie Mulcahy sealed the win.

The Dragons sole response came from a John Talbot try that Caine McVittie improved.

ELLAND won a narrow encounter with OVENDEN 29-26.

The home side were 18-16 ahead at half-time but couldn’t hold on for a win over their near rivals.

Luke Sandland booted five goals to go along with tries to Gareth English (2), Chris Geoghegan and Ben Lister for Ovenden’s points but it proved to be not enough.

Elland have five different try scorers as Dean Avis, Thomas Harnett, Richard Crawshaw, Ethan Ingham and Jorge Fairbank went over, with four Phil Taylor goals and Cayci Pearson field-goal sealing matters.

CASTLEFORD PANTHERS picked up their first win of the season thanks to a 24-22 win at STANNINGLEY.

Both sides crossed for four tries but the kicking of Callum Butler – with four goals – proved to be the difference.

Liam Chadwick, Josh Roberts, Dean Parker and Russ Cartmell – who also kicked three goals – were the men to touch down for the hosts, whilst Nathan Tomlinson, Reece Henderson, Luke Varley and Daniel Noone went in for the Panthers.

WIDNES WEST BANK sent LEIGH EAST to their first defeat of the season with a 13-4 victory.

A sole try from Daryl Flannery was all the visitors could muster, whilst the Bank closed the game out with tries to Danny Yates, Scott Harland and Ryan Millington who also tagged on a field goal for good measure.

The game between SHAW CROSS SHARKS and OLDHAM ST ANNES fell victim to the wintry weather.


Saturday March 30

Normanton Knights 48 v 6 Eastmoor Dragons
Ovenden 26 v 29 Elland
Stanningley 22 v 24 Castleford Panthers
Widnes West Bank 13 v 4 Leigh East
Shaw Cross Sharks P v P Oldham St Annes



A comprehensive display from KELLS saw them run out 46-0 winners over WIGAN ST CUTHBERTS.

Craig Benson, Scott Lofthouse and Connor Holliday all bagged a brace each, with Ryan Robb – a try and three goals – Gary Johnson and Martin O’Neil and two Ross Gainford conversions complete a good afternoons work.

PILKINGTON RECS kept the pressure up at the top of the table with a 38-8 success over HINDLEY.

A Keiron Knapper hat-trick was a highlight, whilst the St Helens sides other touchdowns came via Danny Lynch, Owen Livesey, Mark Ashton and Ryan Hillaird, with Lynch tagging on five conversions.

The visitors managed a couple of tries for their efforts with Rob Bailey and Andy Wright crossing in each half.

Billy Maunder was in fine form as his hat-trick helped WOOLSTON ROVERS cruise to a 40-6 win over COVENTRY BEARS.

Ste Coleman converted a Trent Achilles touchdown for the Bears only points, but that was never going to be enough against a clinical Rovers outfit.

Ben Moores, Billy Sheen, Christian Taylor and Mike Stout all added tries to Maunders triple effort as the Warrington side claimed their third win from four games.

A 16-point haul from Lee Marsh helped BLACKBROOK to a 32-12 win at CROSFIELDS.

Jack Reid converted efforts from Dave Rolt and Chris Hull to complete the home sides scoring, but it was not enough to save them from their third defeat of the campaign.

The St Helens side finished with six tries in total as Aaron Hewitt (2), Darren Forshaw and Tom Cunningham all joined Marsh on the score sheet.

UNDERBANK RANGERS completed back-to-back wins with a 36-10 success at FEATHERSTONE LIONS.

Courtney Allette, Matt Adam, Sam Hendrick, Craig Williams (2) and Lee St Hilaire were the Rangers who crossed the whitewash, with Allette (2), Williams and Kris Harrop adding the extras.

The Lions – who trailed 16-6 at the break – managed tries from Adam Jones and Sam Wilson, one of which was improved by Rich Frankland.

HEWORTH claimed their first points of the season with a 52-0 romp against PETERLEE PUMAS.

The Pumas battled bravely for long periods but five tries in the closing six minutes meant the York side pasted the half-century mark.

Mike Welsh led the way with a hat-trick, whilst Ben Stoker, Dan Walton, Rich Rogers and Paul Thompson also touched down. Tom Barron completed the rout with eight goals.


Saturday March 30

Crosfields 12 v 32 Blackbrook
Featherstone Lions 10 v 36 Underbank Rangers
Kells 46 v 0 Wigan St Cuthberts
Peterlee Pumas 0 v 52 Heworth
Pilkington Recs 38 v 8 Hindley
Woolston Rovers 40 v 6 Coventry Bears

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.