National Conference League Round-up – Week 12

Conference Challenge Trophy round-up

KELLS upset the formbook with a sensational 30-22 win over Premier Division EGREMONT RANGERS. 

The Division Three side raced into a 24-12 half-time lead and produced a resolute second half performance to claim a famous victory.

Reece O’Neil, David Lowery, Scott Lofthouse, Tony Burns and Ryan Watson were the men to touch down for the home side as five goals from Ben Milburn proved crucial.

Egremont replied with first half touchdowns to Johnny Goulding and Ryan Barnes, with Matthew Bewsher kicking the first two of his eventual three goals.

Barnes and Richard Farrer crossed for Rangers in the second period but it was not enough.

BLACKBROOK were another Division Three to upset a top-flight side as they powered past EAST HULL 29-16.

A brace from Dave Scott, plus other efforts from Ste Parkinson, Andy Rawsthorne and Kyle Smith sent the St Helens side on their way.

Four goals from the boot of Parkinson and an Ian Honey field-goal completed their scoring.

Easts only reward for their efforts were tries from Ian Kerman (2) and Sam Bennett. Two of which were improved by Carl Puckering.

LEIGH MINERS RANGERS and ROCHDALE MAYFIELD played out a high-scoring encounter with the hosts eventually prevailing 36-24.

Jonny Youds – a try and four goals – was again amongst the points whilst other Miners tries came from Scott O’Brien, Gareth Paine, Liam Coleman (2), Adam Thomason and Andrew Hodson.

Mayfield – who had trailed 24-6 at the break – responded with touchdowns to Joe Quanici, Adam Dybdall, Aiden Gleeson and Todd O’Brien, with Gleeson (3) and Matt Orvington adding the extras.

MILFORD MARLINS edged a thrilling contest with OULTON RAIDERS 35-28.

There was nothing to choose between the two sides throughout an absorbing match with the Marlins holding a slender four-point lead at the interval.

Ryan Oxtoby (2), Shane Tasker-Howard, Matt Harding, John Plunkett and James Barker all crossed for Milford as Martin Loveridge chipped in with five goals and a field-goal.

The Raiders were in with a chance all the way through the contest as tries to Nathan Batty, Danny Stanley, Tommy Griffiths, Brendan Shepherd and Stu Biscombe made a game of it. However, despite Stanley and Jamie Benn (3) adding the goals it was not quite enough.

SHAW CROSS SHARKS eased themselves into the next round courtesy of a 28-6 success over ECCLES.

The Manchester side managed a try from Chris Scanlon and goal from Andrew Muscat, but it was never going to be enough to topple a Sharks outfit which crossed for five tries of their own.

Derrell Olpherts, Aiden Chandler, Andrew Fawkes (2) and John Rourke were the men to cross the whitewash as Shaun Squires kicked four goals.

UNDERBANK RANGERS almost stunned WATH BROW HORNETS as they narrowly went down 20-18 in Cumbria.

A Scott Pink hat-trick – his final score coming in the last minute – helped the Hornets overcome a spirited Rangers side that registered tries to Michael Lang (2) and Lee St Hilaire.

Neil Barrett supplied three goals for the visitors, but Peter Caddy touched down and added two goals to help the Hornets to victory.

WEST HULL slipped to a 27-18 home defeat to BRADFORD DUDLEY HILL.

A brace from Dan Parker, plus efforts from Josh Hart and Jimmy Walker – along with a Scott Spaven goal – should have been enough for the Premier Division side; however Division One Hill had other ideas.

Nathan Kitson and Neil Wall both scored twice whilst Elliot Cousins also got in on the act.

Kitson added three goals to his sides cause whilst a field-goal from Wall completed a great afternoon’s work for the Bradford side.

WIGAN ST PATRICKS were made to work hard as they overcame HUNSLET WARRIORS 26-12 at Clarington Park.

Anthony Atherton, Brad Hargreaves, Anthony Griffiths, Phil Glover and Dean Hatton all crossed for the home side with Hatton (2) and Ben Smith supplying the extras.

The Warriors – who trailed 20-12 at half-time – hit back with tries to Gary McClelland and Richard Wheelhouse, with full-back McClelland improving both.

Saturday June 1

East Hull 16 v 29 Blackbrook
Kells 30 v 22 Egremont Rangers
Leigh Miners Rangers 36 v 24 Rochdale Mayfield
Milford Marlins 35 v 28 Oulton Raiders
Shaw Cross Sharks 28 v 6 Eccles
Wath Brow Hornets 20 v 18 Underbank Rangers
West Hull 18 v 27 Bradford Dudley Hill
Wigan St Patricks 26 v 12 Hunslet Warriors


Premier Division round-up

Just points difference is keeping THATTO HEATH CRUSADERS off the top of the table following the St Helens sides 28-16 win at SIDDAL. 

Shaun Quinn booted six goals and crossed for one of Thatto’s four tries to cap a good afternoon’s work, whilst the other Crusaders on the score sheet were Anthony Bate, Jamie Tracey and Kieran Maddocks.

The hosts – who could also have hit the summit with a win – were 20-12 adrift at the mid-way point with their touchdowns coming via Danny Patrice and Gavin Stead (2). Gareth Blackburn kicked two conversions.

HULL DOCKERS collected their sixth win of the campaign with a 22-10 success over INCE ROSE BRIDGE. 

A try and three goals from Craig Skelton, plus other four-pointers from Danny Kelso, Dave Palmer and Kallum Birch eased Dockers into a 22-0 lead, before late scores from Jordan Boyd and Ben Toothill – one of which was improved by Kenny Baker – gave Ince some reward for their efforts. 

Saturday June 1

Hull Dockers 22 v 10 Ince Rose Bridge
Siddal 16 v 28 Thatto Heath Crusaders


Division One round-up

SADDLEWORTH RANGERS gave the hopes of avoiding the drop a real boost with a 23-16 win over fellow strugglers MILLOM.

Jack Holden, Eric Johnson, Liam Hall and Chris Yarwood all touched down for the Oldham side, whilst three goals from Michael Coates and a Johnson field-goal closed matters.

The Cumbrians were in the contest for the most part but eventually come up short meaning two tries to Marcus O’Brien and four goals from Neil Shaw counted for nothing.

WATERHEAD continued to keep the pressure on STANLEY RANGERS as they eventually overcame the bottom side 26-22.

The Rangers registered tries to Danny Grice, David Finley and Richard Cattley (2), with Grice also chipping in with three goals.

However, the home side crossed for five tries of their own and with Michael Diveney converting three of them they did just enough.

Kieran Grennan, Diveney, Matthew Holland, Ashley Wildman and Alan Williamson were the men to touch down.

WIGAN ST JUDES maintained their promotion push with a comfortable 42-14 win over DEWSBURY CELTIC.

Scott Robinson was in top form with a 22-point haul – three tries and five goals – whilst other St Judes tries came from Daryl King, Danny Clayton, Scott Pendlebury, Dean Hunt and Nathan Jones.

Celtic – who are now hovering close to the relegation spots – could only muster a brace from Pat Foulstone, one from Anthony Dunford and a Niki Crabtree conversion.

Saturday June 1

Saddleworth Rangers 23 v 16 Millom
Waterhead 26 v 22 Stanley Rangers
Wigan St Judes 42 v 14 Dewsbury Celtic


Division Two round-up

Leaders NORMANTON KNIGHTS picked up their ninth win of the year with convincing 48-14 victory over ASKAM.

The Cumbrians only had tries to Darren Gaskell, Ryan Tippett and Chris Vanstone to show for their efforts as Kristian Tyson added a conversion. 

The Knights has two-try showings from both Aaron Butterfield and Jordan Ratcliffe, whilst the boot of Adrian Mulcahy supplied six conversions.

Paul Seal, Joe Crossland, Paul Greaves, Christian Hartley and Clark Thompson were the other men to cross the line. 

EASTMOOR DRAGONS and STANNINGLEY played out an amazing 38-38 draw.

Tom Sharp (2), Josh Roberts, Matthew Brooks and Russ Cartmell (2) all crossed for the Leeds-based visitors as Callum Smithson – a try and five goals – concluded their scoring. 

The Dragons led for most of the contest but were made to share the spoils despite tries from Arnold Mawere, Greg Wilby (2), Andrew Smith, John Talbot, Caine McVittie and Ashley Allman. Mawere added five conversions.

Saturday June 1

Eastmoor Dragons 38 v 38 Stanningley
Normanton Knights 48 v 14 Askam


Division Three round-up

WOOLSTON ROVERS completed a league double over HINDLEY thanks to 26-18 away success.

The Warrington side had easily accounted for their Wigan rivals just two weeks ago but found things far harder this time around.

Hindley actually led 12-10 at half-time but were eventually undone by a Woolston side that had try scorers in Scott Davidson (2), Sean Conway, Daniel Heaton and Paul Alcock, as Daniel O’Brien chipped in with three goals.

In reply Kieran Whittle (2) and Carl Burgess crossed for Hindley with Steve Sutcliffe improving each score.

CROSFIELDS returned to action in style as they saw off WIGAN ST CUTHBERTS 32-10.

Jack Reid converted tries by Chris Burgess, Daniel Brown and Ryan Connolly to ease his side into an early 18-0 lead, whilst Burgess, Brown and Reid touched down in the second period and Connolly added a further conversion.

St Cuthberts in reply could only muster a brace from Earl Hurst and a goal from Ben Cottrill.

Saturday June 1

Hindley 18 v 26 Woolston Rovers
Wigan St Cuthberts 10 v 32 Crosfields

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.