National Conference League Round-up

Premier Division round-up

Champions WATH BROW HORNETS cut the gap at the top of the table thanks to a 28-16 win at MYTON WARRIORS.

With fellow leading sides Thatto Heath Crusaders, Lock Lane and West Hull all having a free week the Cumbrians took full advantage to repeat last year’s Grand Final success.

Winger Luke Davison played a leading role in the Hornets triumph with a hat-trick of tries; whilst Jamie Martin, Jamie Devine and Peter Caddy also touched down to add to two goals from the boot of Mark Watson.

Myton – who are now five points from safety – were in contention throughout the contest and their hopes were only finally dashed when Davison grabbed his final try in the last minute.

Kris Walker landed two conversions in defeat, with Mark Spence, Chris Wainman and Lee James claiming the tries.

A late penalty from Andy Kay meant that honours were even as HULL DOCKERS and LEIGH MINERS RANGERS drew 18-18.

Craig Skelton touched down and Kay kicked the first of his three goals to give the hosts an early lead, however, Leigh hit back with Jonny Youds improving an Andy Groves effort to level matters.

Centre James Beaumont crossed to give Dockers a 10-6 advantage at the interval and that was how it stayed until the hour mark when Youds improved a Jimmy Muir touchdown to put the Miners ahead again.

Youds improved his own try shortly afterwards to increase the visitor’s advantage, before a second from Beaumont – plus a conversion and the late penalty from Kay – meant the sides could not be separated.

WIGAN ST PATRICKS won a thrilling derby clash with INCE ROSE BRIDGE 38-36.

The win keeps St Pats in the hunt for a play-off place but means Ince are still in real relegation trouble.

Both sides registered six tries each, but crucially St Pats landed seven goals – Dean Hatton (4) and Brad Smith (3) – and Ince six – Robbine Valentine (6).

Kieran Eccleston raced over for a hat-trick in defeat; whilst Ince’s other touchdowns came from Adam Jones, Keiron Malone and David Hoctor.

John McCoy, Stephen Simm, Smith, Liam Marshall, Anthony Griffiths and Phil Glover were the Wigan players to cross the whitewash.

Saturday September 14 

Hull Dockers 18 v 18 Leigh Miners Rangers
Ince Rose Bridge 36 v 38 Wigan St Patricks
Myton Warriors 16 v 28 Wath Brow Hornets


Division One round-up

BRADFORD DUDLEY HILL pasted the half-century mark with a 56-12 win over WATERHEAD.

Damien Smith and Aiden Scully both claimed hat-tricks for a home side which raced to a 38-12 lead by half-time.

Josh Chamberlain, Luke Malek, Kenny Smith and Bolu Fagborun (2) were the other try scorers for the home side.

Alex Jobson – who also kicked two goals – and Dale Lowe supplied the points for Waterhead.

MILFORD MARLINS were too strong for DEWSBURY CELTIC as they ran out 42-14 winners in Leeds.

Nathan Walmsley helped himself to a try and five goals, whilst James Barker also starred with a brace of tries.

Paul Tharme, Adam Fairhead, Danny Vento, Ryan Oxtoby and Arron Jones-Bishop also added their name to the score sheet as Milford picked up win number 13 of the campaign.

Celtic – who trailed 28-8 at the break – managed tries from Andrew Corrigan, Danny Thomas and Pat Foulstone, with Nikki Crabtree chipping in with a goal.

SADDLEWORTH RANGERS remain in a relegation scrap after slipping to a 42-14 defeat at OULTON RAIDERS.

Michael Coates improved efforts from Jack Holden and Phil Wood but it was never going to be enough for a Rangers side which has four games left to save itself from the drop.

The Raiders powered into an 18-0 half-time lead and never looked like slipping up in the second half as they finished with seven tries.

Player-coach Jamie Benn was amongst the points with a try and five goals, whilst Matty Bullough enjoyed a great afternoon with a hat-trick.

Scott MacDonald (2) and Danny Hardy completed the Raiders try scoring feat and Danny Stanley added a couple of conversions.

Saturday September 14 

Bradford Dudley Hill 56 v 12 Waterhead
Milford Marlins 42 v 14 Dewsbury Celtic
Oulton Raiders 42 v 12 Saddleworth Rangers


Division Two round-up

SHAW CROSS SHARKS moved within a point of the summit of Division Two thanks to a comfortable 56-18 win at LEIGH EAST.

The Sharks were 20-0 ahead having recorded tries from Aiden Chandler, Andrew Tillotson, Matt Myers and Luke Blake, before the home side responded as Tom Worthington improved an Andrew Wilks effort.

Shaun Squires third goal – following an Andrew Fawkes touchdown – meant it was 26-6 at the break and the visitors turned on the style in the second period thanks to tries from Fawkes (2) – to complete a hat-trick – Chris Walker, Martin Woodhead and Zach Johnson. Squire’s eight goal haul meant the Sharks passed the 50-point mark.

Sam Grainey and Worthington gave the score line some respectability with second half efforts as Worthington finished with three goals.

Saturday September 14

Leigh East 18 v 56 Shaw Cross Sharks


Division Three round-up

KELLS moved a step closer to promotion with a 24-14 win at BLACKBROOK.

Barry Boyd and Ross Ainley touched down for tries that Stephen McCourt converted to give the Cumbrian’s a 12-0 half-time lead, before he added two more in the second half to compliment a brace of tries from Tyrone Dalton.

In between times Mark Leonard and Greg Hale (2) responded for the home side, with Steve Parkinson’s goal actually nudging Blackbrook ahead for a short period.

CROSFIELDS picked up their eighth win of the season with a 36-22 victory over FEATHERSTONE LIONS.

The Lions battled bravely throughout and despite trailing 24-0 at one stage they actually got back to within six points of their Warrington-based opponents.

Steve Clough – who also kicked three goals – Craig Machin, Charlie Daley and Davi Garahan all touched down to give the Lions some hope, however, Mark Smith stopped the rot with his second effort before David Rolt’s second late on sealed the win.

Aled James, Dave Bolden, Matt Mahoney and Joe Moore claimed Crosfield’s earlier touchdowns as Jack Reid kicked two goals.

PILKINGTON RECS moved second following a battling 20-12 win at HINDLEY.

Andy Wright converted efforts by Frankie Phillips and Rob Bailey to give the home side a 12-6 half-time lead, with Danny Lynch kicking the first of his four goals to improve Ryan Hillard’s effort to keep Pilks in touch.

The scores were level when Lynch improved Josh Lynch’s touchdown early in the second half, before Lynch converted his own score to complete the win. 

Saturday September 14

Blackbrook 14 v 24 Kells
Crosfields 36 v 22 Featherstone Lions
Hindley 12 v 20 Pilkington Recs

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.