National Conference League Round-up

Conference Challenge Trophy round-up

Holders LEIGH MINERS RANGERS remained on course to keep hold of the Challenge Trophy following a 34-18 semi-final win over MILFORD MARLINS.

The home side raced into a 16-0 lead but were pegged back by a determined Marlins side who gave a great account of themselves as they tried to bridge the divisional gap, although a late Sam MacDonald try eased any fears Leigh may have had.

Adam Thomason, Andrew Groves (2), Jonny Youds and Scott O’Brien were the other men to cross, with Youds (4) and O’Brien adding the goals to help book their place in the final at the Leigh Sports Village on Sunday September 29.

Martin Loveridge had a good afternoon as he grabbed a try and kicked three goals, whilst James Coates and Matt Harding also touched down for the Leeds side.

WIGAN ST PATRICKS sealed their place in the showpiece final after battling past WATH BROW HORNETS 22-8 in Cumbria.

Centre Fran King gave the Hornets an early lead before efforts from Jayden Sandford and Liam Gannon – plus the first of Dean Hatton’s three goals – put St Pats ahead at the break.

A Hatton penalty and Matty Charnock try increased the visitors advantage, although a 68th try from Matty Huby gave the home side some hope.

However, with just six minutes left Charnock sped over for his second and Hatton’s final goal sealed the win.

Saturday August 10

Leigh Miners Rangers 34 v 18 Milford Marlins

Wath Brow Hornets 8 v 22 Wigan St Patricks

Premier Division round-up

LOCK LANE moved back to the top of the Premier Division following a 36-22 success over EAST HULL.

Centre Tom Wood was the star of the show thanks to a four-try performance, although he was pushed close by visiting stand-off Carl Puckering who claimed two touchdowns and three goals in a personal 14-point haul.

Winger Lee Hall also grabbed a brace for the Hull side but it proved to be in vain as they slipped to ninth defeat of the season.

James Cryer, Steve Scott and Andy Matthews were the other men to cross for the home side with Danny Rowse’s four goals completing the job.

SIDDAL moved back into the play-off places after a 36-22 win over YORK ACORN.

The prolific Gareth Blackburn was again in the points with a try and six goals, whilst Emmerson Newburn (2), Ross White, Shaun Garrod and Lee Greenwood all touched down for the Halifax side.

Acorn – who are now a point adrift at the foot of the table – were just 12-6 behind at half-time but despite tries from Joe Budd (2), Ryan Gallacher and Tom Hill.

Three conversions from Anthony Chilton closed their account.

Saturday August 10

Lock Lane 36 v 22 East Hull

Siddal 36 v 22 York Acorn

Division One round-up

Bottom side STANLEY RANGERS nearly caused a huge upset before slipping to a narrow 24-22 defeat to HUNSLET WARRIORS.

The promotion chasing Leeds side were 16-6 behind at the interval but did just enough in the second half to turn things around and claim win number 12 of the season.

Luke Pennington, Mark Holmes, Caldon Bravo and Daryl Gaunt were the Hunslet try scorers, with Gary McClelland crucially adding four goals.

With games fast running out it looks like Stanley will be playing in Division Two next season, however, they gave a great account of themselves as they registered four tries.

Sam Rothery, Chris Senkiw, Chris Grice and Paul Hughes all crossed the whitewash, with Danny Grice booting three goals.

ECCLES got the better of a high scoring encounter with MILLOM scraping home 36-30.

The win could go a long way to helping the Manchester side maintain their Division One status, but it dealt a major blow to the Cumbrian hosts who now sit in the drop-zone.

The Woollybacks tries came from a hat-trick from Joseph Moyes, plus efforts from Adam Kelly, Jake Pennington and Lee Edmondson. Ross Brookes added three conversions.

However, it was not enough to stop Eccles who responded with a try and six goals from Mike Carney, plus other touchdowns from Mike McGrath, Mike O’Boyle, Danny Trimble, Marc Jones and Jordan Parker.

OULTON RAIDERS cruised into a 22-0 half-time lead and predictably closed out the game for a 40-22 win over WATERHEAD.

Centre Andy Eastham shone for the Raiders as he raced over for a hat-trick, whilst the other Oulton points came via tries to Matty Bullough, Andy Tillett, Brendan Shephard, Jamie Chappell and Adam Biscombe. Jamie Benn chipped in with four conversions.

Waterhead are precariously placed just above the relegation places and having played more games than the teams around them could be made to sweat.

They did manage to breach the Oulton line four times on Saturday through Darren Nixon, Jack Prem, Dale Lowe and Peter Davies, with Michael Diveney and Jamie Mayall (2) adding the extras.

Saturday August 10

Millom 30 v 36 Eccles

Stanley Rangers 22 v 24 Hunslet Warriors

Waterhead 22 v 40 Oulton Raiders

Division Two round-up

ASKAM remained on course for promotion with a 48-6 win over LEIGH EAST.

Adam Holland converted a first half effort from Kieron Dainty to keep Easts in touch as they trailed 12-6 at the break, but they couldn’t contain the Cumbrian side after the break.

Ben Lewney helped himself to four tries with Sam Broadley, Dan Sayle, Kristian Tyson – who also kicked eight goals – and James Gordon completing matters.


The Sharks built up 20-0 advantage by half-time and closed out the game to claim another two points in their promotion quest.

Andrew Fawkes, Danny Flowers, Chris Walker and Casey Johnson touched down for the Sharks, with Shaun Squires five goals competing their scoring.

The Saints improved in the second half and finished with tries to Kiel Lancashire and Greg Worrall, with Lancashire improving his own effort.

Saturday August 10

Leigh East 6 v 48 Askam

Shaw Cross Sharks 26 v 10 Oldham St Annes

Division Three round-up

Two tries each for Matt Cooper and Trent Achilles helped COVENTRY BEARS to a 42-20 win over CROSFIELDS in the only Division Three game this weekend.

Steve Coleman, Dan Durston and Rich Synnott were the other Bears to cross the line as seven Coleman goals completed the win.

Crosfields – who led 20-18 at half-time – slipped to their eleventh defeat of the campaign despite two Jack Reid goals and tries from Joe Moore, Kieran Lee, Benn Mellor and Louis Bani. 

Sunday August 11

Coventry Bears 42-20 Crosfields

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.