National Conference League Round-up


CASTLEFORD LOCK LANE made a miraculous comeback at WIGAN ST PATRICKS to go level at the top of the table.

Pats scored three unanswered tries in the first half-hour through Dean Hatton, Ryan Smith and Brad Hargreaves and the visitors looked to be heading for a heavy defeat. 

Substitute, Steve Scott played a key part in Lane’s revival; he powered over two minutes before half-time and Chris Siddons scored from the restart to put his side just a converted try behind.

Buoyed by their quick-fire double, Lane went on to storm the second half, scoring either side of the hour mark through Paul Brown and Mikey Hayward.

Danny Rowse converted both tries and added a drop-goal from twenty metres out but Adam Garlick put the icing on the cake with his try ninety seconds from time.

EAST HULL stand-off Carl Puckering held his nerve to hit a last minute drop-goal to edge out INCE ROSE BRIDGE 32-31.

Rose Bridge twice hit back from being 12 points adrift but were denied by Puckering – the Premier Division’s leading scorer – who put in a 15 point Man of the Match performance.

The visitors bounced back after Matty Brookes, Lee Hall and Chris Spenceley scored for East but Puckering and Lee Steward restored a two try deficit.

Ince pivot Tony Baker made up for his sin-bin with a brace to put his side back in contention but Easts cancelled out Martyn Butler’s effort and Kieran Eccleston’s one pointer through Scott Partis and Puckering. 

THATTO HEATH remain at the top of the table after a comfortable 38-12 victory over HULL DOCKERS who are now well and truly in the relegation dogfight.

The Crusaders were 22-0 up by the break and managed to hold off despite signs of a spirited fight back from their opposition. 

Winger, Darren Woods touched down twice for the home side who were led about the park by stand-off, Jack Jones.

Even after Adam Walsh’s second-half score, the visitors were still intent on a comeback and scored through Craig Skelton and Paul Fletcher.

Heath fullback, Shaun Quinn put his side back on track and second-rower Jamie Tracey jinxed over to confirm the result.

Defending champions, WATH BROW held out for a 14-10 win over WEST HULL to keep their hopes of finishing top alive.

Wests’ – whose bus broke down on the way to Cumbria and kick-off – conceded the first try just before the 20 minute mark in what was to be a rollercoaster encounter.

But the Green and Golds hit back almost instantly through interchange, Kurtis Jackson, Josh Hart’s conversion making it 4-6.

The Hornets continued to trail until after five minutes into the second half when second-rower, Matty Huby powered his way over.

Hart thought he had secured the win for the travellers with his try outwide on the hour mark but the Cumbrians had other ideas. 

With only seconds to play a brilliant pass by Leroy Joe allowed James Dixon to celebrate a matchwinning try before Peter Caddy added the goal.

Last year’s runners up, MYTON came from 26-6 down against SIDDAL at half-time, to lead by a try with a quarter of an hour to play. 

But Siddal levelled a pulsating match at 30-30 with five minutes to play when winger, Gavin Stead crossed.

Gareth Blackburn was unable to win the game with a tricky conversion attempt and in fairness, a draw was probably a fair result.

Stead was one of the first-half scorers too alongside Nick Smith, Richard Lopag and Shaun McCormack.

The Warriors scored only through Ben Thorpe whose try was converted by Ash James but the second half was a completely different story.

James scored and converted all four tries – the others coming from John Hobman, Allan Dunham and Stuart Oades.

EGREMONT ground out a narrow 10-8 victory over YORK who now sit at the foot of the table.

The visitors had hooker, Dan Telford sent to the sin bin on two different opportunities but rallied to never go behind.

Acorn stand-off, Joe Budd burrowed his way over two minutes from time to set up a nailbiting conclusion after Anthony Chilton’s second goal.

But Egremont held out for a win earned from Matt Palmer and Jack Stainton tries to go third.

Improving outfit, SKIRLAUGH are now out of the bottom three after beating LEIGH MINERS 32-12.

Jed Carter and James Jennison both had their early tries converted by Ross Kemp before Lee Gittins replied for Leigh.

Skirlaugh strengthened their position before the break through Scott Mountain, Kemp turning four into six again for an 18-6 lead.

The Hull side maintained their efforts in the second half – Carter and Kemp scored a try each and so even when Gary Gittins touched down for the Miners, it was only to be a consolation. 


Wigan St Patricks 16-27 Lock Lane

East Hull 32-31 Ince Rose Bridge

Thatto Heath 38-12 Hull Dockers

Wath Brow 14-10 West Hull

Myton 30-30 Siddal

Skirlaugh 32-12 Leigh Miners

York Acorn 8-10 Egremont


WIGAN ST JUDES let slip their lead at the top of Division One after being beaten 30-28 by DEWSBURY.

Danny Thomas scored a hatrick for Celtic who also chalked up points through James Eatherley and Anthony Dunford.

Judes came close with tries from Gareth Thomas, Dave Carney, Scott Robinson, Barry Rothwell but even Luke Belshaw’s late try wasn’t enough.

EAST LEEDS kept on the pressure with an impressive 52-6 win over a young MILLOM side.

Joey Wilkin, Jack Ely and Ryan Gaunt all grabbed two tries apiece with Luke Tomlinson, Lee Fisher and Jordan Normington the other names on the scoresheet.

Anthony Murray scored Millom’s only try which was converted by Neil Shaw.

ROCHDALE enjoyed a 54-22 victory at WATERHEAD who were punished when Ryan Knight was dismissed for striking.

Knight had already recorded two tries for the home side but his teammates failed to respond at his absence.

Mayfield capitalised with Jack Sampson and Rob Kershaw completing hatricks whilst Lewis Sheridan contributed a try and seven goals.

Neil Wall scored a hatrick for BRADFORD DUDLEY HILL as they cruised to a 44-10 win over SADDLEWORTH. 

Anthony Lamond , Damion Smith, Kyle Carter, Sam Broadley, Aiden Batey and Andy Robinson were on the scoresheet for tries, five of which Nathan Kitson goaled.

Adam Jeffrey and Chris Conway scored late on for the Rangers.

STANLEY RANGERS scored three unanswered tries in the last quarter of an hour to snatch a 24-24 draw at ECCLES.

Liam Crawley, Joel Marsh and James Senkiw were the men able to find the line with Billy Griffiths able to add a second goal.

Marsh and Sam Rothery had scored earlier on while Eccles had led through Louis Taylor, Richard Openshaw and Ben Wheeler.

Dewsbury Celtic 30-28 Wigan St Judes

East Leeds 52-6 Milom

Waterhead 22-54 Rochdale

Bradford Dudley Hill 44-10 Saddleworth

Eccles 24-24 Stanley


ASKAM made up ground on division two table toppers, Normanton with a 38-20 win at OVENDEN.

James Duerden scored a hatrick with other tries coming from Danny Sayle, Sam Broadley, Mark Tysin and Joe Dowsett.

Jason Dodd scored two tries for the Halifax based side who also recorded Matthew Collins and Gareth English scores.

SHAW CROSS cruised to a 34-4 win over bottom placed CASTLEFORD to retain their third placed position.

Shaun Squires scored a haul of twelve points which was made up of a try and four conversions.

Chris Walker, Ryan Charkley, Martin Holland, Adam Nicholson and Zack Johnson were the other scorers.

Mark Cahill scored a hatrick to help LEIGH EAST achieve a difficult 38-22 win at STANNINGLEY. 

Steve Grundy scored a try for the Red and Whites and was on target with the boot to notch up five goals.

Lewis Jones, Peter Croft, Matthew Brook and Danny Rawlins found the line for the home side.

Keil Lancashire notched up 34 points as OLDHAM ST ANNES pulverised EASTMOOR DRAGONS 70-4.

Lancashire scored three tries and 11 goals in a match which would have only one winner.

David Sweeney was a notable inclusion scoring twice whilst Peter Craven replied with an unconverted try for Eastmoor.

Ovenden 20-38 Askam

Shaw Cross 34-4 Castleford

Stanningley 22-38 Leigh East

Oldham St Annes 70-4 Eastmoor


KELLS enjoyed an impressive 42-8 win over league leader, PIKINGTON RECS in a clash between first and second.

St Helens based, Pilks were only able to score through Mark Ashton and John Ford in a thoroughly disappointing in which they let ground slip.

Gary Johnstone and Tyrone Dalton scored a brace for the Cumbrians who were assisted by Ross Gainford who scored and added seven goals.

UNDERBANK continued their quest for the title with a 23-16 win over COVENTRY BEARS.

A late James Usher drop-goal was needed to confirm the result after the Bears had rallied from behind 18 points down.

Craig Williams, Courtney Allette, Will Midgley and Usher crossed for the Rangers with Kris Harrop only able to add a single goal.

FEATHERSTONE came from being 16-4 down to record a shock 38-22 win over title chasing WOOLSTEN.

Dean Gamble scored a brace while Rich Frankland scored a vital try and knocked over five conversions. 

Other tries went to Anthony Yates, Baz Cooper, Danny Glassell and Scott Glassell.

Fourth placed BLACKBROOK strolled over second bottom WIGAN ST CUTHBERTS by 50-4.

Ste Parkinson led the way with a hatrick of tries and two conversions whilst teammate, Chris Springford scored twice. 

Cuthies, who have only won four games so far this season, scored a sole try through Mark Barrerley.

HINDLEY recorded a last gasp 34-32 win over HEPWORTH despite trailing by four points in the last minute.

Hepworth spilled the ball downfield and the visitors duly obliged, launching a counter attack which culminated in Steve Worthington’s match winning try.

Andy Wright coolly converted to snatch the win with his fifth goal of the afternoon.

Hayden James scored a hatrick as CROSSFIELDS stormed to an emphatic 84-4 victory over winless, PETERLEE Pumas.

Jack Reid also scored two tries and banged over twelve goals for a haul of 32 points.

Chris Burgess bagged a brace whilst Sean Swallow crossed for the visitors.

Kells 42-8 Pilkington Recs

Coventry 16-23 Underbank

Featherstone 38-22 Woolsten

Blackbrook 50-4 Wigan St Cuthberts

Hepworth 32-34 Hindley

Crossfields 84-4 Peterlee Pumas


Conference South leaders, SHEFFIELD swept to a 62-0 win at ST ALBANS.

Chris Palmer, Donald Kundangirana, Tom Ashton and Chris Cullimore all bagged a brace of tries against the bottom placed side.

Sam Williamson landed eight goals whilst Joey Luttrull, Connor Scott and Alex Palmer also crossed.

BRISTOL recovered from being 28-20 down to defeat LEICESTER 30-28.

Nick Portch scored at the death and Dom Swann was able to add his third conversion.

Marcus Brooker had already scored a brace and Jake Robertson also crossed for a try.

Sam Campbell and Jonny Shields both scored hatricks as NOTTINGHAM stormed to a high scoring 58-20 win over NORTHAMPTON. 

Jimmy Goodwin also crossed twice in an exceptional team performance.

Paul Calland (3) and Dan Smith (2) added the extras.

St Albans 0-62 Sheffield

Leicester 28-30 Bristol

Nottingham 50-28 Northampton

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.