National Conference League Round-up – 31/03/14


EAST LEEDS produced a stunning display 14-try display to power past WIGAN ST JUDES 76-12.

Nathan Conroy and Ben Walkin both helped themselves to a hat-trick, whilst Jason Priestley, Ryan Gaunt and Ross Meston all crossed twice.

Kyle Quinlan and Jake Normington efforts completed the rout and Conroy’s 10 goals completed the stand-offs 32-point haul.

St Judes – who had trailed 34-6 at the break – managed a try in each half in response as Scott Robinson improved his own touchdown and an earlier effort from Nathan Jones.

A 20-point haul from scrum-half Bradley Smith helped WIGAN ST PATRICKS to a 36-34 win over LOCK LANE.

Half-back partner Ryan Smith crossed for a hat-trick and centre Tom Woodcock added the other touchdown, but it was the last of Smith’s six goals which proved crucial.

Lock Lane – who had trailed 34-4 at half-time – stormed back into the contest with a much improved second half effort.

Full-back Michael Hayward claimed a hat-trick inside 15 minutes and he was joined on the score sheet by Nicky Saxton, Chris Siddons and Nathan Fozzard, however, Daniel Rowse could only manage five conversions which meant they came up just short.

SKIRLAUGH and LEIGH MINERS RANGERS couldn’t be separated as they played out a 24-24 draw.

The home side led 12-6 at the break but had to settle for a point after the visitors battled back with three second period tries.

Ross Kemp converted all the home sides’ tries which came via Ben Peterson, Marc Smith, Joseph McLocklan and Jonathan Young, whilst Miners full-back Johnny Youds also landed four goals, including a crucial last minute effort.

Darryl Appleby, Shaun Dowie, Kieron Eccleston and Sean McDonald were the Leigh scorers.

EGREMONT RANGERS picked up their third win thanks to a 40-12 success at EAST HULL.

The home side registered tries through Sam Cator and Matthew Spenceley – which were both converted by Christopher Spenceley – but that proved to be as good as it got.

Full-back Rhys Davies led the way for Egremont with a late brace of tries, which added to earlier efforts from Antony Leak, Paul Corkhill, Matthew Henson, Ben Walker and Daniel Telford.

The extras came from Kieran Glenn (4) and Henson (2).

SIDDAL came from behind to edge past HULL DOCKERS 28-24.

The home side found themselves 18-12 behind at half-time but did just enough to take the points thanks to three second half tries from Richard Lopag, Sean McCormack and Gareth Blackburn.

Ross White and Shaun Garrod had crossed in the first half, with Blackburn also landing four conversions.

Dockers search for their first points goes on but they will have taken plenty of positives from a display which saw Robbie Smith, Chris Stephenson – who also kicked four goals – and Andrew Taylor (2) cross the whitewash.

WATH BROW HORNETS remain on top of the table despite slipping to a 12-8 defeat at WEST HULL.

At the half-way point a try from Peter Caddy and two goals from Scott Pink had given the Hornets an 8-0 lead, but the champions roared back and won it thanks to Ian Kerman converting touchdowns from Callum Windley and Thomas Blakey.

THATTO HEATH CRUSADERS were far too strong for HUNSLET WARRIORS as the ran out 38-12 winners.

Full-back Shaun Quinn helped himself to an 18-point haul – a try and seven goals – whilst Liam Forsyth, David Hull, Jamie Tracey and David Pike also crossed.

The Warriors were limited to tries from Nathan Kitson and Dale Bateson, both of which Gary McClleland improved.

Premier Division

Wigan St Patricks 36 v 34 Lock Lane
Skirlaugh 24 v 24 Leigh Miners Rangers
East Leeds 76 v 12 Wigan St Patricks
East Hull 12 v 40 Egremont Rangers
Siddal 28 v 24 Hull Dockers
Wath Brow Hornets 8 v 12 West Hull
Hunslet Warriors 12 v 38 Thatto Heath Crusaders



OULTON RAIDERS maintained their winning start to the season with a 28-10 victory over INCE ROSE BRIDGE.

Lee Gomersall grabbed the home side’s first try but the sides were level at 4-4 at the break after Ben Jones had gone over.

However, the Raiders took control in the second period despite Ince recording a second effort from Joseph Higham which was goaled by Connor Matthews.

Chris Hope, Chris Williams, Andrew Tillett and Clayton Stott all went over and four goals from Daniel Mackintosh made the game safe.

MYTON WARRIORS returned from West Yorkshire with the points after a 41-26 win at DEWSBURY CELTIC.

Stand-off Nathan Slater stood out with a hat-trick, whilst half-back partner Kris Walker chipped in with a try, two goals and a field-goal.

Ash James (2) landed the other Myton goals as tries from Chris Wainman, Michael Beecher, Lee James and Nick Halstead completed the points spree.

Celtic – who have now lost their last three games – saw their points came via a brace each from Pat Foulstone and Adam Egan, and a Scott Green effort. Foulstone also landed three goals.

MIILOM went down 32-16 to YORK ACORN despite registering first half tries to Chris Warren, Ian Armstrong and Ricky Donoghue, plus two Paul Evans conversions.

The win – Acorns first of the season – came about after a try and four goals from Anthony Chilton, a hat-trick from centre Matthew Woods and further efforts from Ryan Gallagher and Davey Burns.

NORMANTON KNIGHTS continued their good start to 2014 with a 48-14 win over MILFORD MARLINS.

Winger Aaron Butterfield had a great afternoon with a four-try performance, whilst Tom Alexander (2), Joe Crossland, Steven Lewis and Jonathan Hodgson also crossed for the Knights.

Six goals from Adie Mulcahy completed the home sides scoring, meaning a Martin Loveridge goal and tries from Joe Ramsden, Nathan Currie and Matthew Brocksom were nothing more than consolation.

Carl Abraham crossed for a hat-trick as ROCHDALE MAYFIELD got one over local rivals SADDLEWORTH RANGERS 40-24.

Ben Naululmatua, Robert Kershaw, Todd O’Brien and Callum Marriott claimed the other Mayfield four-pointers, with six Sam Butterworth goals helping them hit the 40 point mark.

Saddleworth had trailed 18-12 at the interval and were unable to take anything from the game despite crossing for four tries of their own.

Matthew Fogerty, Michael Coates – who also landed four goals – Ben Lloyd and Adam Jeffrey were the men to cross.

ECCLES stunned SHAW CROSS SHARKS with a 24-22 win at their Dewsbury-based rivals.

Ben Spaven, Derrell Olpherts and Ross Roebuck touched down for the Sharks as they opened up a 16-6 half-time advantage, but crucially they could only add a Greg Wilby try and a second Daniel Flowers goal in the second period.

Thomas Pratt’s effort late in the first half helped keep Eccles in the contest before second half touchdowns from Marc Jones, Jayden Lund and a 78th minute effort from Christian Higgins saw them close in on victory.

Crucially stand-off Michael Carney every touchdown to give his side the spoils.

Division One

Dewsbury Celtic 26 v 41 Myton Warriors
Millom 16 v 32 York Acorn
Normanton Knights 48 v 14 Milford Marlins
Oulton Raiders 28 v 10 Ince Rose Bridge
Rochdale Mayfield 40 v 24 Saddleworth Rangers
Shaw Cross Sharks 22 v 24 Eccles



KELLS continue to lead the way in Division Two thanks to a 42-16 win at BRADFORD DUDLEY HILL.

The home sides points came from tries to Ryan Dickinson (2) and Gareth Ramsden – with Gavin Mezals adding a couple of conversions – however it was never going to be enough to stop the Cumbrians winning a fourth straight game.

Wingers Daniel Joyce (3) and Reece O’Neil (2) both had productive afternoons, whilst Lewis Smith, Tyrone Dalton and Dominic Wear also touched down. Ross Gainford landed five goals.

CASTLEFORD PANTHERS came out on top 44-24 in an entertaining contest with ASKAM.

Stand-off Craig Savage was the star man with four tries, whilst his half-back partner James Clarkson landed four goals.

Reece Henderson, Nathan Campsill, Lee Cartwright and John Brummitt (2) added further tries to the Panthers tally.

Askam managed two converted tries in each half with Kristian Tyson on target with the four goals.

Rob Cockwayne and Ben Lewney went over in the first half and were followed over by Sam Broadley and Owen Wilkinson.

ELLAND remain in the lower reaches of the table following a 30-12 home loss to PILKINGTON RECS.

Cayci Pearson converted tries by Jorge Fairbank and Ben Hinsley, but it wasn’t enough to stop a Pilks outfit that actually trailed 12-6 at the interval.

Ian Stanley (2), Greg Smith, Ryan Liptrot and Daniel Filson grabbed the visitor’s tries with scrum-half Danny Lynch landing five goals.

OVENDEN are now third after a 44-18 win over LEIGH EAST.

Niall Brady contributed a 20-point haul – two tries and six goals – with the other tries coming via Matthew Turner, Shaun Smith, Luke O’Mara, Chris Geoghegan and James Silcox.

Leigh – who are still looking for the first points – replied with two tries and two goals from Ricky Holt and a touchdown from Adam Holland.


Winger Josh Denbigh raced over for a hat-trick and fellow winger Alan Williamson almost matched him with a two try showing.

Jordan White and Craig Highton also crossed for the Saints with the goals coming from Kiel Lancashire (3) and Carl Sneyd.

Stanley managed two in each half via Joel Marsh, Daniel Sampson, Richard Cattley and Chris Grice. Daniel Grice was on target with two conversions.

STANNINGLEY remain rooted to the foot of the table following a 28-6 defeat at WATERHEAD.

James Myerscough improved a 42nd minute Bradley Cox effort in the visitor’s only bright spot.

The hosts cruised into an 18-0 half-time lead thanks to tries from Niall Dunnington-Wallace, Darren Nixon and Andrew Gorey, plus the first three of Jamie Mayall’s four goal haul.

They then closed the game out with second half efforts from Thomas McMullen and Martyn Sarsfield.

Division Two

Bradford Dudley Hill 16 v 42 Kells
Castleford Panthers 44 v 24 Askam
Elland 12 v 30 Pilkington Recs
Ovenden 44 v 18 Leigh East
Stanley Rangers 20 v 36 Oldham St Annes
Waterhead 28 v 6 Stanningley



FEATHERSTONE LIONS swept in for an amazing 19 tries as they hammered PETERLEE PUMAS 104-0.

Matthew Johnson claimed a hat-trick and there were two tries each for Keiran Redfearn, Richard Williams, Anthony Yates, Craig Barker and Davi Garahan.

Richard Frankland (11) and Ian Jackson (3) shared the 14 goals between them with the remaining touchdowns coming from Reece Dyas, Dean Gamble, Daniel Glassell, Sam Millard, Jack Candlin and Brendon Gibbins.

BLACKBROOK picked up their third win of the campaign thanks to a 54-10 victory over WIGAN ST CUTHBERTS.

Ste Parkinson helped himself to two tries and seven goals, whilst a hat-trick from Greg Hale was also a highlight.

Jordan Welsby and Ian Honey both scored twice with Daniel Fairhurst’s effort helping them pass the half-century mark.

St Cuthberts replied with a brace from Earl Hurst and conversion from Declan Riley.

HINDLEY battled their way past COVENTRY BEARS 20-12.

The Bears were 20-0 behind before last quarter efforts from Richard Nauer and Matt Cooper – both goaled by Ste Coleman gave them some hope.

However the damage was already done with the home side’s points coming from a try and two goals from Chris Scarborough, plus other efforts from Paul Hersnip, Carl Burgess and Ryan McKenzie.

UNDERBANK RANGERS were made to work hard for the 19-6 win over WOOLSTON ROVERS.

Neil Barrett converted his own score to give the home side the lead, before Daniel O’Brien matched his effort to leave matters level at 6-6 at the break.

Barrett goaled an Andrew Boothroyd effort as the hosts re-took the lead, before adding a field-goal to take the two scores clear with three minute left.

He then landed a third conversion following centre Michael Lang’s last minute try to conclude the scoring.

The tie between CROSFIELDS and EASTMOOR DRAGONS was abandoned in the 64th minute.

The home side has been leading 52-6 at the time.

Division Three

Blackbrook 54 v 10 Wigan St Cuthberts
Crosfields 52 v 6 Eastmoor Dragons
Featherstone Lions 104 v 0 Peterlee Pumas
Hindley 20 v 12 Coventry Bears
Underbank Rangers 19 v 6 Woolston Rovers

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.