National Conference League Round-up

Premier Division round-up

Two tries in the final 11 minutes helped LOCK LANE to a 20-14 win over fellow play-off rivals WEST HULL.

Tom Wood and Paul Brown were the men to cross for the home side with scrum-half Danny Rowse adding the last of his three goals which supplemented two field-goals.

Phil Lythe had given Lock Lane an early lead with a fourth minute touchdown, before Josh Hart and Dan Parker cross either side of the break to give the visitors the advantage.

Scott Spaven landed two goals and two field-goals for Wests but it was not to be as they were outdone with the late double strike.

SIDDAL remain on course for a play-off place thanks to a 24-12 win at EAST HULL.

Carl Puckering – who also kicked two goals – and Matty Brooks grabbed the tries for the home side as they held the visitors 12-12 at the break.

However, Siddal took control in the second period as Nick Smith and Daniel Williams touched down to add to the first half efforts from George Ambler and Chris Brooke.

The reliable boot of Gareth Blackburn completed the job with four conversions.

SKIRLAUGH secured their top-flight status with a 32-24 victory at INCE ROSE BRIDGE.

Defeat for the home side means they will be playing Division One rugby next season but they gave as good as they got in their latest encounter.

Keiron Eccleston, Martin Butler, Adam Dwyer and Tom Whittle claimed the Ince tries as Rob Valentine added four goals.

However, the Hull-based visitors built on a 14-12 half-time lead to claim the vital two points.

Liam Reid led the way with a brace and he was joined on the score sheet by Tom Saltmer, Paul Hannath, Simon Kilby and John Gay. Four Ross Kemp goals made the game safe.

MYTON WARRIORS and YORK ACORN are both relegated despite them playing out a 20-20 draw.

Acorn held a 14-10 led at the mid-way point but couldn’t hold on against a Myton side who will drop down a division less than a year after making the NCL Grand Final.

Rory Neilson, Alec Hobman and Richard Dunham (2) got the tries for Myton as Kris Walker tagged on a couple of goals.

Acorn however, gave as good as they got and made sure honours were even thanks to two Anthony Chilton goals and tries from Ash Robson (2), Reece Rushworth and Ryan Gallagher.

THATTO HEATH CRUSADERS remain on top thanks to a big 58-10 triumph over EGREMONT RANGERS.

Shaun Quinn had a great afternoon with two tries and nine goals for a home side that led 30-4 by the break.

Peter Murphy and Richard Farrer grabbed tries for the visitors as John Paul Brocklebank added a goal, but it was never going to be enough to halt the rampant hosts.

James Tracey (2), Corey Lee, Darren Woods, Ryan Heaton, Adam Walsh and Chris Frodsham all crossed as Thatto passed the half-century mark.

Champions WATH BROW HORNETS picked up the biggest win of the day thanks to a 60-0 hammering of HULL DOCKERS.

Scott Pink was amongst the points with two tries and eight goals, whilst English Lions half-back Karl Dixon also touched down twice.

Luke Davison, Peter Bewsher, Peter Caddy, Charlie Tomlinson, Liam Martin, Mark Watson and Jamie Devine completed the rout.

Saturday September 21

East Hull 12 v 24 Siddal
Ince Rose Bridge 24 v 32 Skirlaugh
Lock Lane 20 v 14 West Hull
Myton Warriors 20 v 20 York Acorn
Thatto Heath Crusaders 58 v 10 Egremont Rangers
Wath Brow Hornets 60 v 0 Hull Dockers


Division One round-up

EAST LEEDS confirmed their promotion to the Premier Division with a comfortable 38-14 win at STANLEY RANGERS.

The hosts – who are now relegated – actually led 14-4 at the break but couldn’t hold on despite a Danny Grice goal and tries from Charlie Ellis, Richard Cattley and Billy Griffiths.

The league leaders though took control in the second half and closed with a try and five goals from Nathan Conroy and touchdowns to Mark Greenwood, Jason Priestley, Joey Walkin, Dale Pattison, Ben Walkin and James Forsell.

HUNSLET WARRIORS kept their promotion push on track with a 34-16 derby win at MILFORD MARLINS.

The Marlins could only muster tries from Ryan Oxtoby, James Barry and James Barker, plus goals from Nathan Walmsley and Mark Wool and that was never going to be enough.

Chris Hartley and Mark Cunningham got the visitors off to a flying start and by the end of the contest Cunningham had completed his hat-trick and Jake Corney had helped himself to a brace.

Gary McClleland’s five goals closed their account.

ROCHDALE MAYFIELD continue to chase the Warriors and extended their winning run with a 58-12 win at SADDLEWORTH RANGERS.

Luke Sampson and Joe Quanici both scored twice and Lewis Sheridan’s 22-point haul came from a try and nine goals.

Jack Sampson, Paul Brearley, Matty Moores, Rob Kershaw and Sam Butterworth also got in on the try scoring act, meaning Michael Coates conversions of Gareth Morgan’s efforts were just consolation for the Rangers.

MILLOM secured their survival with a 20-12 home win over OULTON RAIDERS.

Jamie Benn converted efforts from Dom Flanagan and Danny Hardy to give them a 12-4 half-time lead, but the Woollybacks roared back to pick up the priceless two points.

Anthony Murray scored their sole first half effort but scores from Chris Warren, Anthony Green and Ross Brookes – who also tagged on a couple of goals – completed the comeback.

DEWSBURY CELTIC are just about safe after a good 46-10 success over WATERHEAD.

Mike Foulstone and Josh Sykes both notched hat-tricks and Niki Crabtree chipped in with a try and three goals.

Matthew Sheridan, Andrew Corrigan and Jason Muranka also crossed, meaning Matthew Holland and Dale Lowes replies were irrelevant. Alex Jobson added a conversion.

Saturday September 21

Dewsbury Celtic 46 v 10 Waterhead
Milford Marlins 16 v 34 Hunslet Warriors
Millom 20 v 12 Oulton Raiders
Saddleworth Rangers 12 v 58 Rochdale Mayfield
Stanley Rangers 14 v 38 East Leeds


Division Two round-up

NORMANTON KNIGHTS sealed the Division Two title after a thrilling 17-16 win over SHAW CROSS SHARKS in the championship decider.

The Knights trailed 12-6 early in the second half before levelling matters with a Curtis Thompson try and Adie Mulcahy’s second conversion, as he had earlier improved Steve Lewis’ opener.

Mulcahy edged the visitors in front with a field-goal, and Arron Butterfield’s 72nd touchdown increased the advantage further.

The Sharks hit back through Aiden Chandler, but Zach Johnson – who had earlier landed two goals – was wide with what would have been the match winning kick.

Ross Roebuck had earlier starred with a two-try blast for the home side.

CASTLEFORD PANTHERS beat fellow strugglers EASTMOOR DRAGONS 25-20.

Greg Wilby (2) and Lee Whiteley were the Dragons to cross the whitewash as Jamie Dodds chipped in with four goals.

However, the Panthers were not to be denied and recovered from being 12-10 down at half-time to pick up the win.

Arron Phelps, Luke Chambers, John Brummitt, Callum Butler – who also added a field-goal – and Matty Bacon crossed for the Panthers and two James Clarkson goals finished it.

ELLAND secured a 34-12 win against STANNINGLEY thanks to two tries by Dave Webb and Richard Crawshaw.

Cayci Pearson added a try and three goals and there were other touchdowns from Junaid Malik and Oliver Fairbank.

Stanningley responded with efforts from Tom Sharp and Tom Bell, one of which Sean Cooper improved. 

Saturday September 21

Eastmoor Dragons 20 v 25 Castleford Panthers
Shaw Cross Sharks 16 v 17 Normanton Knights
Stanningley 12 v 34 Elland


Division Three round-up

KELLS clinched the Division Three title with a hard-fought 14-6 win over UNDERBANK RANGERS.

Daniel Joyce, Barry Boyd and Reece O’Neil all touched down for the Cumbrians, whilst a goal from Steve McCourt meant they were a couple of scores clear.

Neil Barrett improved Andy Boothroyd’s try for the visitors but this last day defeat means the Huddersfield side just miss out on promotion.

PILKINGTON RECS secured the final promotion place with a 48-22 victory over WOOLSTON ROVERS.

The Recs – who led 22-10 at the break – finished with tries to Mark Ashton (2), Ryan Liptrot, Ryan Hilliard, Ryan Rogers, Liam Bostock, Steve Charlson, Danny Halsall and Mark Briody, with Danny Lynch slotting over six goals.

Woolston responded with a brace from Eddie Vaughan and other efforts from Sean Conway and Ryan Cosgrove, with the latter adding three conversions.

FEATHERSTONE LIONS picked up just their seventh win of the campaign with a high-scoring 32-26 win over BLACKBROOK, whilst COVENTRY BEARS finished their debut NCL campaign with a 30-20 success over WIGAN ST CUTHBERTS.

Matt Cooper was a standout performer with a hat-trick, whilst Liam Welling and Trent Achilles also cross the line, and Steve Coleman booted five goals.

Wigan’s points came from two tries to Andrew Whyte, one from Danny Clayton and four Ben Cottrill conversions.

CROSFIELDS battled past HEWORTH to secure a 20-12 win.

Ben Thompson (2), Matty Wilson and Dave Rolt grabbed their touchdowns as Jack Reid’s two goals closed their points tally.

Adam Caddie converted tries from Dane Weatherill and Josh Poulter in response.

PETERLEE PUMAS completed their first year in the NCL with a 48-4 loss to HINDLEY.

Richard Foster touched down for the Pumas in an encouraging display, but they could control a Wigan-based side who managed touchdowns from Will Melling, Steve Sutcliffe (2), Chris Scarborough (2), Stuart Paul, Raith Stringer, Keiran Whittle and Wayne Crank. Stringer also added four goals for good measure.

Saturday September 21

Coventry Bears 30 v 20 Wigan St Cuthberts
Featherstone Lions 32 v 26 Blackbrook
Heworth 12 v 20 Crosfields
Kells 14 v 6 Underbank Rangers
Peterlee Pumas 4 v 48 Hindley
Pilkington Recs 48 v 22 Woolston Rovers

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.