Leeds 12-18 Hull: Visitors hold out in bruising encounter at sodden Headingley

Players from both teams clash on the pitch

Hull FC have kept pace with the top of Betfred Super League after beating Leeds in a bruising 18-12 victory thanks to a brace of tries from Adam Swift.

The winger crossed twice in the first half as the Airlie Birds bounced back from their defeat to Catalans Dragons on Monday.

Leeds remain locked near the bottom of the table after suffering their fifth defeat from seven games, their first in front of fans at Headingley in more than a year.

Josh Griffin and Jake Connor were influential for Hull, with the former scoring his 100th career try and the full-back finishing with two try assists in the six-point win.

Zane Tetevano was back from suspension for Leeds, with youngster Jarrod O’Connor dropping out.

For the Airlie Birds, winger Bureta Faraimo was named on the bench, with Cameron Scott left out.

The visitors started strongly with the kicking game of Marc Sneyd keeping the Rhinos pinned on their own try-line for the opening four minutes, but Leeds’ defence held firm.

It was the home team who took the lead in the 10th minute through Liam Sutcliffe as the stand-off broke two tackles on the left to crash over and score, with Rhyse Martin adding the extras to make it 6-0.

But the lead lasted just 10 minutes until Swift touched down in the corner after a brilliant cut-out pass from Connor and Sneyd tied the match up with a conversion.

A succession of penalties then had Leeds camped in Hull’s half, and in the 25th minute Martin edged his team ahead with a penalty goal.

Five minutes later, the Rhinos had a try disallowed by the video referee after a knock on by Richie Myler before Swift grabbed his second try of the evening after Griffin made a break downfield.

Griffin drew in Myler and put the former St Helens man over for another simple score, with Sneyd kicking the Airlie Birds into a 12-8 lead.

Right before half-time, Griffin proved influential again when powered over to score.

The centre went past some weak defence before Sneyd added the extra points to create a 10-point buffer at the break.

In the second half, Leeds tried to mount a comeback and force their way back into the game but Hull’s defence was up to the task.

Then in the 59th minute, Tom Briscoe almost gave the Rhinos hope when he appeared to barge over from Brad Dwyer’s offload.

The video referee ruled no try, deciding Briscoe had not got the ball down after an all-in melee erupted between the two teams.

A minute later Myler scooped up the ball after a kick was spilled on the visitors’ try-line and looked to have scored.

But again the video referee declined to award the try after detecting a knock on by a Leeds player in the lead-up to the score.

Time was running out for the Rhinos as they frantically searched for a hole in the visitors’ armoury.

With three minutes left, Briscoe finally crossed to cut it back to 18-12 but Hull held on for the win.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.