Leigh half-back Joe Mellor has said his side are in a good position ahead of the start of the Championship season this weekend.
The Centurions play their first game back in the Championship on Sunday as they welcome Whitehaven to Leigh Sports Village.
They have also only played one pre-season game, last Friday at St Helens. Leigh lost 16-6 at the Totally Wicked Stadium.
Since their relegation, Leigh have assembled a new squad with only Ben Reynolds, Mellor, Adam Sidlow, Mark Ioane and Sam Stone keeping their places from last year. Keanan Brand’s loan deal also became permanent and Tom Nisbet’s loan was extended.
Mellor believes despite the limited time, the squad are in a good position.
He said in an interview on social media: “I think there was only five of us that we were here last year, but we have come together quite quick, everyone’s quite tight even though we didn’t know each other. That should be really good heading into the season.
“We’ve been coming in dribs and drabs, without loads of numbers in training. But I think for our first game of the season being a friendly, we got what needed to out of the game and we will take a lot of confidence from it.
“We just want to try and build on last week. There was a lot of good stuff, and if we do some stuff better, we will be in a really good position this weekend.”
🗣️ "𝙒𝙚 𝙟𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙗𝙪𝙞𝙡𝙙 𝙤𝙣 𝙡𝙖𝙨𝙩 𝙬𝙚𝙚𝙠"
— Leigh Centurions (@LeighCenturions) January 26, 2022
Another departure at Leigh
On Tuesday, the Centurions confirmed the departure of full-back Brendan Elliot, who has returned to the NRL with North Queensland.
The 28-year-old outside-back back spent last season in Super League with Leigh. He scored three tries in 11 appearances as the Centurions suffered relegation.
Elliot played 66 games in the NRL prior to his Leigh move. He has previously played for Sydney Roosters, Newcastle Knights, Gold Coast Titans and Manly Sea Eagles.