Hull happy after Belle Vue battle

Hull FC edged Wakefield 12-8 in a throwback encounter to the days of old yesterday.

The match, played in freezing conditions and heavy mud, saw just two tries as defence ruled the day.

But a late try to Jake Connor, who had warmed the bench for an hour, was just enough for the Black and Whites to pinch the two points in their season opener at a soaked Beaumont Legal Stadium.

Marc Sneyd put Hull FC into an early lead, kicking a penalty after six minutes.

The game looked set to be attritional, thanks to the weather, and the early exchanges indicated an afternoon for old fashioned winter rugby.

Hull FC worked another penalty in front of the posts, after Watts was hit high by Kirmond. Sneyd stepped and put the Airlie Birds into a 4-0 lead after 15 minutes.

Wakefield were hit with a blow, with Anthony England failing a concussion test after an early hit. He was confirmed as withdrawn from the action just before the end of the game’s first quarter.

Sneyd then slotted his third penalty on the 20 minute mark.

Finn kicked off superbly to force a scrum from the restart though.

Trinity won a penalty, and Sam Williams kicked it to claw two points back.

Ben Jones-Bishop thought he’d scored after 31 minutes, after grounding a kick, but the ref pulled the action back for a Trinity scrum after a series of knock ons.

As the interval neared, both teams tried to open up a bit, but the wet conditions made it hard for the ball to stick to hands. The first half finished 6-2 to the visitors.

Conditions continued to be filthy as the second half kicked off.

Scott Grix scored the game’s first try after four minutes of the second period.

The Ireland fullback picked up from dummy half, and slotted a cheeky grubber kick over the line, grounding it himself. Williams added the extras.

Wakefield started to apply more pressure, with Fifita having an immense game.

Sneyd’s 40-20 put them on the back foot again, though, with 25 minutes remaining.

Every set seemed to end in error as the final hooter approached, with some good individual skills, but litle overall coherence from either team.

Albert Kelly worked hard for the Black and Whites, producing some fine skills and big hits when called upon.

But then Connor pounced on the loose ball after a Wakefield error from a Marc Sneyd kick, to score what was the vital try.

Sneyd added the extras to put Hull into a 12-8 lead with 11 minutes remaining.

That’s how it stayed, despite some manful efforts from the home side, including a superb Grix grubber which was fielded by Sneyd under the sticks, on a day when the weather played its full part.

Attendance: 7, 027.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.