Hull get back to winning ways

Hull won the second game of their Easter weekend with a 24-10 success at Leigh that was built on the back of the efforts of their pack and included two sparkling tries from Carlos Tuimavave.

Leigh had started full of fire and industry. Debutant Dave Thompson was stopped on the Hull try line, while another Centurions opportunity saw Atelea Vea felled by a great tackle from Jake Connor.

Leigh completed their first eight sets of the game and Hull weathered the early storm to then open the score after 18 minutes.

Harrison Hansen did a lot of work in these opening stages, but when he coughed up possession the visitors moved on and Marc Sneyd sent Liam Watts over the line. Sneyd goaled from near the posts and Hull led 6-0.

Four minutes later Hull took advantage of another Leigh error and good early ball from Sneyd gave the opportunity for Carlos Tuimavave to stride over from 25 metres. Sneyd converted once more to make it 12-0.

Hull were really starting to hit their straps. Sneyd struck a 40-20 and Liam Watts was held up over the line. Matty Dawson and Thompson came up with try-saving tackles.

Leigh fought their way downfield and a good kick by Reynolds was taken by Thompson only for him to spill the ball in a good tackle.

Hull played confidently on the back of the free play and picked the pace up for Sneyd to thread a kick down the middle for Albert Kelly to pounce under the posts. Sneyd goaled and the signs were ominous with the score 18-0 after 27 minutes.

Leigh were doing everything they could just to stick with their visitors. Lachlan Burr was penalised for not playing the ball correctly and just as Hull looked set to stride over out wide a telling intercept came the way of Ryan Hampshire. The stand-in winger was then tackled into touch as Leigh flickered back into life.

A superb run from Liam Hood almost brought the hooker a try as he raced fifty metres before chipping forward. Jordan Thompson chased back and lost the ball over the line with Hood only able to touch down after the ball had trickled dead.

Even the final set of the half saw Leigh stretch their visitors with Thompson being tackled after turning inside.

The second-half got underway and both sides went set for set for the first five minutes before a sixty metre break from Ben Crooks broke things up. It came to nothing however when Josh Drinkwater sailed the ball into touch.

Leigh went close again through Hampshire and tried to attack on the back of a high kick, however Fonua was able to get back into the field of play and three tackles later Jez Litten split the line, Watts supported and Tuimavave ran in his second from forty metres. Sneyd goaled and it was 24-0.

The Centurions again had their moments, Thompson doing some good work on the kick return, Hampshire was hauled down close after a half break from Reynolds and Liam Hood worked hard. Josh Drinkwater kicked a 40-20, but fine defence forced Hampshire touch in goal.

A Mahe Fonua run managed to clear his lines on the hour, but Leigh responded with a try after 64 minutes when Danny Washbrook spilled the ball and a few tackles later Hood slipped through for a try. Reynolds goaled and it was 6-24.

Hull again applied pressure to the Leigh line and a Hampshire intercept proved timely. Once more Leigh shot down field and this time created a scoring opportunity on the right that was finished by Hampshire after Reynolds, Drinkwater and Crooks were involved.

That went unconverted and it was left to Hull to wind the clock down and collect their first win in three attempts.

Leigh: Gregg McNally, Ryan Hampshire, Ben Crooks, Matty Dawson, David Thompson; Ben Reynolds, Josh Drinkwater; James Green, Liam Hood, Sam Hopkins, Atelea Vea, Glenn Stewart, Harrison Hansen. Subs: Micky Higham, Dayne Weston, Danny Tickle, Lachlan Burr.

Tries: Hood (64), Hampshire (72).

Goals: Reynolds 1/2.

Hull: Jamie Shaul, Mahe Fonua, Jake Connor, Carlos Tuimavave, Steve Michaels; Albert Kelly, Marc Sneyd; Scott Taylor, Danny Washbrook, Liam Watts, Sika Manu, Mark Minichiello, Jordan Thompson. Subs: Gareth Ellis, Jansin Turgut, Brad Fash, Jez Litten.

Tries: Watts (18),  Tuimavave (23, 52), Kelly (27).

Goals: Sneyd 4/4.

Attendance: 6,296

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.