Hull FC too strong for inexperienced Widnes

Hull FC put in a clinical second half display to ease past a youthful Widnes side.

Denis Betts made six changes to his Widnes side that lost at Hull KR last weekend. Chris Dean, Tom Gilmore, Ted Chapelhow, Jay Chapelhow, MacGraff Leuluai and Owen Farnworth replaced Ed Chamberlain, Danny Craven, Alex Gerrard, Gil Dudson, Wellington Albert and Keanan Brand.

Hull FC coach Lee Radford made four changes to his side that lost at St Helens last time out. Jack Logan, Jordan Lane, Brad Fash and Jordan Abdull were replaced by Bureta Faraimo, Masi Matongo, Jack Downs and Jez Litten.

Widnes were dealt a blow just minutes into the game as Dean left the field and did not return.

Hull FC opened the scoring at the Halton Stadium as Jake Connor got a superb offload away to Danny Washbrook who scored. Marc Sneyd converted to put his side 6-0 up.

Weak defence from Widnes saw USA winger Faraimo wriggle out of two challenges to go over. Sneyd’s boot made the score 12-0 to FC.

Sam Wilde pulled a try back for Widnes midway through the first half after Widnes had numbers on the right edge. Gilmore added the extras, Widnes 6-12 Hull FC.

The away side were caught holding Joe Mellor back when he was chasing a kick, so Widnes were awarded a penalty and opted to take a shot at goal. Gilmore added the penalty goal, but the Vikings were still 12-8 down at the break.

Jamie Shaul thought he had scored for Hull FC early into the second half following a quick breakaway move, but it was disallowed due to an earlier knock on.

Widnes took the lead in the 52nd minute. Tom Olbison scooted and crashed over the line from close range. Gilmore’s conversion edged the hosts into a 14-12 advantage.

Hull FC soon went back in front though. Matongo dived over after going through a big gap in the Widnes defence. Sneyd converted and FC were 18-14 to the good.

Radford’s side were starting to hit their straps in the second half as Josh Griffin made a 40-metre break down the left to score out wide.

FC were in again on the hour mark. Fetuli Talanoa latched onto a chip from Sneyd to finish brilliantly in the corner. The conversion was on point and Hull led 26-14.

In the 66th minute, Sneyd added a drop-goal which put the visitors in a 27-14 lead.

Griffin was denied a second try. The video referee deemed him to have lost the ball when he made contact with the Widnes defence.

Olbison got his second for the Vikings in the latter stages of the game. Gilmore converted, but Widnes were still seven points behind.

Griffin all but sealed the win for Hull FC with just a couple of minutes remaining. Sneyd’s conversion put FC 33-20 in front.

FC put the icing on the cake at the death. Shaul got on the end of a Faraimo kick through to score. Sneyd converted to secure a convincing 39-20 victory.

Widnes: Hanbury; Runciman, Whitley, Dean, Ince; Gilmore, Mellor; Burke, Heremaia, T Chapelhow, Wilde, Olbison, Houston. Subs: Leuluai, Farnworth, Johnstone, J Chapelhow.

Hull FC: Shaul; Faraimo, Connor, Griffin, Talanoa; Kelly, Sneyd; Taylor, Houghton, Paea, Washbrook, Downs, Bowden. Subs: Green, Matongo, Tuimavave, Litten.

Starman: Josh Griffin was excellent for Hull FC. Widnes struggled with him all night.

Attendance: 3,733

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.