Huddersfield 6-13 Castleford

Castleford returned to victorious ways after five Super League defeats with a determined and spirited defensive performance against Huddersfield Giants.

Victory saw the Tigers rise to eighth in the table to put themselves back in the play-off frame, although sides below them do have games in hand.

And Terry Matterson’s men exacted revenge for their Challenge Cup defeat at the hands of the Giants thanks to an almost impeccable performance.

Rangi Chase had a superb game for the Tigers, and coach Matterson was quick to offer praise.

“He’s doing two jobs there, playing some dummy half and doing the kicking to get us around,” he said.

“I’m really pleased with Rangi. He came a fair way tonight. It’s tough playing half when you’re not used to it but he had good support from Sione Faumuina and Ryan McGoldrick.”

Cas opened their account just five minutes into the game after a superb break from full-back Richard Owen set up teenage star Joe Westerman to combine with winger Kirk Dixon to score.

That lead was extended eleven minutes later when Brett Hodgson‘s pass was snatched out the air by Ryan McGoldrick who raced in from 40 metres to score under the posts.

Huddersfield always offered threats and were unlucky not to get on the scoresheet soon after, Luke Robinson‘s break knocked-on by the supporting Jamahl Lolesi with the line begging.

But the Tigers extended their lead with a 39th minute penalty goal, which settled their nerves somewhat.

The second half was a different story though, with Huddersfield holding most of the possession, with Castleford clinging onto their slender margin.

Several times the Giants broke the Tigers’ ranks only to come up with soft errors which really should have put the game to bed.

A forward pass by Kevin Brown was picked up by referee Steve Ganson, while David Hodgson‘s break was ended when he put his foot into touch accidentally.

They did get their deserved score with just over ten minutes remaining in the game, with Simon Finnigan and Stephen Wild combining to send Leroy Cudjoe over in the corner.

But Chase ended all hopes of a Huddersfield comeback five minutes from time when the New Zealander chipped over a deft dropped goal to give the Tigers a 7-point lead.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.