Harlequins 22-22 Wakefield Wildcats

Quins got off to an awful start with Mark McLinden making a rare mistake from a Jamie Rooney kick. Harliquins never recovered, and consequently Paul March crossed the line to give Trinity an early lead.

Just a few moments later, Matt Blaymire backed up Jamie Rooney on the inside, the youngster's third try in 3 games. Jamie Rooney made no mistake giving Wakefield a 10 point lead.

On the 17th minute, a fine solo break by Aussie Scott Hill split open the Wakefield ranks, Sykes backed up but ultimately bombed the try knocking on over the try line.

2 minutes later, Scott Hill backed himself and stepped his way over instantly getting the Quins back into the game.

Wakefield were continually giving Quins good field position with careless high shots mainly by Bibey and Richard Moore.

32 minutes in, Quins made good use of the football, as Sykes sliced through the Wildcats left flank, and gifted Smith the four pointer. Henry Paul added the 2 points. Quins were in the lead for the first time at 12-10.

With literally seconds left until the hooter, a wicked kick by Purdham caused confusion between Matt Blaymire and Wayne Price, leaving space for Sykes to touch down. Paul hit the post with his conversion sending the teams in at 16-12 to the home side.

John Kears team talk will have mainly focused on not giving cheap field position, but they were clearly tiring from a hard Easter period.

Shortly after the restart, Ben Jefferies put a short grubber kick which was suberbly grounded by Wayne Price. Jamie Rooney levelled the scores with a brilliant touch line kick.

Danny Orr was causing problems with his kicking game, and hoisted one in the corner, Wells palmed the ball back, and Hopkins was there for his 2nd try of the season. Purdham kicked a gem of a kick off the touch line, to give Quins the lead 22-16.

On the 64th minute, Blaymire finished off a fantastic scrum move, for his 2nd try of the night. Rooney added the extras to square the scores at 22 a piece.

Scott Hill came back on the field on the 71st minute in an attempt to give the Quins the edge in this fascinating game. 

Both teams appeared deadlocked with less than 10 minutes to go, until Wakefield kick, but Ben Jefferies failed to ground the ball – the scores still level.

Both teams were into drop goal mode, looking for the all important point which could win the game.

Scott Hill kicked the ball out on the full, gifting Wakefield prime field position. Jamie Rooney failed to kick the drop goal attempt, giving Quins the chance at the other end. Danny Orr's attempt also drifted wide of the mark.

The Scores stayed the same, probably the fair result in the capital.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.