Harlequins 16-34 Salford

Debutant Adam Clay ran in two tries as Salford comprehensively beat Harlequins and leapfrog them in the table.

The victory means Harlequins are now eight games without a win, whilst for Salford, the victory helps them put last week’s two heavy defeats behind them.

After a bright start from Harlequins, Salford dominated the following 37 minutes, showing virtually no mercy in the process.

Mike Burnett opened the scoring for the Quins with a well worked try which went from the right of the pitch to the left culminating in Luke Gale setting up Burnett to score although Gale missed the conversion.

Salford had the opportunity to pull level but Clay lost possession of the ball and the try was ruled out by the video referee, however he did not have to wait long for his next opportunity.

The youngster levelled the scores with his first super league try. He dummied one defender before bundling past the Quin’s defence and stretched out to get the ball over the line although Holdsworth could not take advantage with the conversion.

Clay’s day got even better on 22 minutes after he put the finishing touches to a good team move. The winger shrugged off Quins’ David Howell to get the four points but yet again Holdsworth could not take advantage with the conversion.

Salford piled on the misery for Harlequins when Wayne Godwin showed great resilience to force his way past two players and get over the line. Holdsworth made no mistake with the extra two points, to make the score 4-14.

The Reds continued their dominance and another slick move made the score 4-18. Matthew Smith offloaded the ball to Holdsworth whose quick thinking gave the ball to Luke Patten who dummied one player before scoring the try whilst Holdsworth’s conversion hit the post.

Harlequins were 22-4 down just before half time. Holdsworth’s kick was charged down by Harlequins’ Chad Randall who unfortunately deflected the ball in to the path of Salford’s Chris Nero, who ran half the length of the pitch to score.

The blustery conditions again were influential in Salford missing their fourth conversion of the match.

Harlequins showed signs of a fight back early in the second half. Luke Ambler’s determination helped him to force his way through the Reds’ defensive line to score the try.

Gale converted to put the Quins only 12 points behind at 10-22.

Great defensive work by Luke Patten prevented Harlequins from scoring another try when he stopped Oliver Wilkes on the try line.

Salford extended their lead with a controversial try from Iafeta Palea’aesina. The powerful New Zealander held off the tackles to get across the line. With the referee unsure, the try was given by the video referee. Holdsworth’s conversion made the score 10-28.

The Reds sealed the win with nine minutes to go. Firstly Holdsworth scored a penalty and then minutes later Quins’ David Howell gave the ball straight to Vinnie Anderson who after a one-two with Stefan Ratchford scored the try to lead 10-34.

Chad Randall set up Chris Melling to score a late consolation try for Harlequins with minutes to spare and Gale’ conversion helped reduce the deficit to 16-34.

Harlequins: Dorn, Melling, Howell, Clubb, O’Callaghan, Gale, Randall, Ambler, Ellis, Ward, Burnett, Mitchell, Wilkes. SUBS: Williams, Temata, Kouparitsas, Pryce

Salford: Patten, Broughton, Ratchford, Gibson, Clay, Smith, Holdsworth, Cashmere, Godwin, Palea’aesina, Anderson, Nero, Wild. SUBS: Neal, Adamson, Boyle, Jewitt.

Attendance: 1957

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.