England knocked out after Aussie ambush

Australia will play New Zealand in the 2016 Four Nations final after seeing off England 36-18 in a six-try blitz in London.

Down 10-6 at half-time, England were blown apart in a 12 minute spell where the Kangaroos crossed three times.

Kevin Brown started in the halves, with George Williams on the bench and Daryl Clark left out.

In the 11th minute England took a two-point lead through a Gareth Widdop penalty.

The Kangaroos squared it up six minutes later from the boot of Johnathan Thurston, after Kallum Watkins hit Cooper Cronk late.

Australia started to enjoy a number of sets on England‘s line, but the home team’s defence was resolute.

On the back of two consecutive penalties England got the first try of the game in the 25th minute.

The ball came to the right and Jonny Lomax found Jermaine McGillvary in space for the Huddersfield winger to score.

Widdop couldn’t convert but England had the lead 6-2.

In the 29th minute Valentine Holmes lost possession in the tackle to give England a great attacking chance.

Mark Percival almost crashed over but couldn’t keep Lomax’s pass.

But six minutes later Blake Ferguson responded for the Aussies.

After a penalty the Kangaroos built an overlap on the right, after Percival rushed off his line, for Blake Ferguson to touch down.

Thurston’s kick from the sideline was good to put Australia in front 8-6.

Right on half-time Sam Burgess knocked down Boyd Cordner off the ball, to gift Australia two points.

Thurston kicked it and Australia went in with a 10-6 lead at the break.

Sam Burgess was almost over early in the second half but he couldn’t handle Josh Hodgson‘s pass.

Australia responded in usual form with a try. Off the back of a scrum, Thurston ran a decoy line and Cameron Smith found Inglis to dummy and barge over.

Thurston added the extras to make it 16-6 with 32 minutes left.

The Antipodeans soon scored another try, courtesy of a burrowing run from prop Matt Scott.

England‘s hopes were fading with it 22-6 with 22 minutes on the clock. It got even worse less than a minute later.

Cronk busted through the middle and found Josh Dugan in support for the easiest of tries.

It was getting ugly but then Gareth Widdop hit back with a strong run and a try. He converted the four-pointer to make it 28-12.

But the Kangaroos weren’t done yet, Matt Gillett using pure strength to cross. In the aftermath Sam Burgess landed a punch flush on the face of David Klemmer but escpaed a sin-binning.

Thurston finally missed a kick so it stayed at 32-12.

England went down swinging – Ryan Hall bagging England‘s third try of the game in the 74th minute. Widdop converted to make it 32-18.

But the Kangaroos wouldn’t not be quietened. There was still time for Valentine Holmes to fly over acrobatically for the final try of the match.

Australia will now face neighbours New Zealand at Anfield in a week’s time.






Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.