Dragons slay St Helens

Catalans Dragons ran in three tries in seven minutes during the second half on the way to a 33-16 victory against St Helens.

St Helens made a terrible start, giving away two penalties inside the first minute, Pat Richards kicking the latter between the posts to give the hosts an early 2-0 lead.

Five minutes later, Louis McCarthy-Scarsbrook touched down on the far side after a good pass from Jordan Turner. Jack Owens scored the conversion to put Saints 2-6 in front.

Fouad Yaha rounded off a brilliant individual run by touching down on the near side, going past McCarthy-Scarsbrook and Shannon McDonnell, just after the 20-minute mark.

Five minutes before the interval and the Dragons extended their lead to 12-6, Lucas Albert crashing over after he brushed off two challenges from Saints’ players.

St Helens were further behind after Todd Carney kicked a drop goal in the final minutes of the first half.

Saints moved back to within three points of their French opponents early in the second half, Adam Swift crossng on the near side after being picked out by McDonnell.

Jodie Broughton was the first Catalans player to touch down in the second half, crashing over on the near side after a pass from Tony Gigot.

Morgan Escare created some breathing space for the home side, scoring a second try in three minutes after a great run from Yaha to put Catalans 21-10 ahead in the 57th minute.

Catalans scored their third successive try without reply, Broughton touching down after some good work by Glenn Stewart.

With 12 minutes remaining the Dragons moved 33-10 in front as Gigot touched down on the near side, Thomas Bosc’ kick from the centre being helped on by Broughton.

Owens went close to reducing the deficit but he fumbled the pass from McDonnell, resulting in a knock on.

Three minutes before the end McDonnell scored between the posts, evading Lucas Albert before Owens scored the conversion.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.