Dixon stars as Robins run over Wakey

Keiran Dixon bagged a hat-trick as Hull KR romped to a big victory over Wakefield at Belle Vue to put them back into Super 8s contention.

The Robins opened the scoring with their first attack after three minutes when Albert Kelly put a kick in the air and Tom Johnstone knocked on under pressure from Ian Thornley/

He got the ball to Kieran Dixon who marked his return to the side with a try, and then Ken Sio added the extras.

It got better for Rovers just after the 10 minute mark when Kelly scored after being the benefactor of a smart offload from Chris Clarkson.

James Greenwood then got a third try for the side from East Hull after 16 minutes. After hesitant Wakefield defence, Kelly managed to put Greenwood into a gap to score. Sio missed again but it was still a 16-0 lead for the Rovers.

Shaun Lunt then got his 150th career try, the Rovers’ set up play was killing the Wildcats and Lunt was able to run in for another easy score. Sio scored from his kick making it 20 points in 20 minutes for Hull KR.

Just when things were looking gloomy for the Wildcats, they got a try through Bill Tupou’s first four-pointer for the club as a result of good movement and sharp hands to put him in in the corner.

Liam Finn missed his conversion attempt and the deficit remained at 16.

But their defensive frailties were on show again as James Green brilliantly supported Adam Walker to put the former over for his second try of the season.

Mikey Sio got Wakefield back into the game again as this time it was the Wildcats who were showing good support play. Liam Finn added the extra two points to make it a 16-point game again.

The Wildcats needed the first try of the second half and they got it through ex-Hull KR winger Craig Hall, after a great interchange between Matty Ashurst and Liam Finn to put Hall over.

Dixon then got his second try of the game with a spectacular diving finish in the corner after quick hands again from Thornley.

He then completed his hat-trick barely a minute later and it was a great individual effort as Maurice Blair kept the Wildcats defence off him, he offloaded to Dixon on around the 40-metre line and his speed did the rest.

Sio added the extras from right in front of the posts to make it a 20 point lead for the Rovers.

Greenwood then got his second try after more hesitant Wakefield defence, this time in their own in goal area, led to an easy grounding.

Kelly then got his second try with a stunning 80-metre try as a clever offload from Sio utilised his speed and got him over the try line as KR edged closer to the 50 point mark.

Maurice Blair then put the icing on the cake and bring Rovers up to the half century. Terry Campese put a clever kick in and Blair caught it and the Wakefield defence couldn’t get near him.

Sio added the extra two points again for the seventh time on the night.

Rovers, for the time being, have moved up above Salford Red Devils to ninth, four points off Widnes Vikings in the final playoff position. They play Wigan Warriors at home next Friday night.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.