Co-operative Championship Round-up

Leigh Centurions continued their impressive form this season maintaining their 100 percent record following a thrilling 54-16 victory over Widnes Vikings.

Leigh opened the scoring through centre Mick Nanyn but it only took Widnes’ Simon Finnigan three minutes to level the scores in what was a tight first half. Tom Armstrong restored the lead for Leigh but tries from Anthony Thackeray and Paddy Flynn, plus two goals from Steve Tyrer, gave Widnes a 16-8 lead at half-time.

Leigh then produced an emphatic second half display to run in eight tries, including doubles from Martyn Ridyard and Tyrone McCarthy, to score 46 unanswered points and seal an impressive win over the Vikings who have now lost two consecutive games.

Four tries in the first ten minutes of the second half gave Barrow Raiders their first win of the season under new coach Nigel Wright, helping lift the Raiders off the foot of the table at the expense of York City Knights.

York opened the scoring through Jonny Presley but the Raiders managed to earn themselves a 16-10 half-time lead thanks to tries from Richard Fletcher, Gary Broadbent and Andy Ballard.

The Raiders then stepped up a gear with first Ballard followed by Liam Harrison, Chris Larkin and Zeb Luisi scoring within 12 minutes of the restart to open up a 36-10 lead.

Jamie Rooney rounded off the scoring for Barrow while John Davies got a consolation for York in the 76th minute to make the final score 42-16.

Half-back Paul Handforth scored 18 points to help Batley Bulldogs condemn promoted Hunslet Hawks to their first defeat of the season.

The Bulldogs led 10-4 at the break thanks to tries from Craig Potter and Alex Bretherton coming in response to David March’s opening score for the Hawks.

Hunslet took the lead through Richie Barnett minutes after the restart, but Batley’s Handforth grabbed two tries in three minutes in-between scores from Jonny Campbell and Paul Mennell to inspire his side to a 38-12 victory.

Sheffield Eagles won their second consecutive game in the Co-operative Championship by defeating Toulouse Olympique 34-16.

Eagles centre Menzie Yere and forward Joe Hirst both crossed the whitewash on two occasions in the opening half to help the Eagles take a comfortable 28-10 half-time lead with scores from Darren Nichols and Gregory White helping Toulouse get off the mark. 

The Eagles extended their lead to 34-10 after Jason Crookes scored in the 54th minute and the score looked set to end that way until Sebastien Payan grabbed a consolation for the visitors in the dying moments.

Featherstone Rovers came from 20-12 down at half-time to beat Halifax RLFC 32-20 at The Shay in the repeat of the 2010 Co-operative Championship Grand Final.

Halifax captain Sean Penkywicz opened the scoring with winger Rob Worrincy scoring in his 11th consecutive match and Paul White scoring two tries in a four minute period to give Halifax an eight-point half-time lead.

Featherstone struggled to contain Halifax in the opening half but in the second half, scores from Bryn Powell and Andy Bostock brought the scores back level for a third time in the game.

Andy Kain’s try in the 56th minute put Featherstone in front for the first time and they were to remain ahead, with Andy Bostock grabbing a second try to ensure the Rovers gained some revenge for their Grand Final defeat last season.


Batley Bulldogs 38 – Hunslet Hawks 12
Leigh Centurions 54 – Widnes Vikings 16
York City Knights 16 – Barrow Raiders 42
Sheffield Eagles 34 – Toulouse Olympique 16
Halifax RLFC 20 – Featherstone Rovers 32



Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.