Championship Round-up – Week 11

Kingstone Press Championship leaders Leigh had to fight for their 23rd successive victory at Dewsbury.

Paul Rowley’s side eventually came away with a 32-28 win, but had to stave off a startling fightback from the home side who were 22-6 down just before half time.

Rob Spicer opened the scoring for Dewsbury but four unanswered tries from Gregg McNally, Martyn Ridyard and a Liam Kay brace saw the Centurions race into a 16-point lead.

However, Karl Pryce gave the hosts some hope on the hooter before Dalton Grant and Luke Adamson went over. But Kay completed his hat trick as the final quarter approached, meaning Grant’s late score had little impact on the outcome.

Meanwhile, in Bradford, the second-placed Bulls got the better of third-placed Sheffield with an impressive 46-12 victory on Sunday.

The Bulls were in clinical mood at Odsal, running in eight tries, seven of which were converted by Danny Addy.

Dale Ferguson scored twice with Tom Olbison, Etu Uaisele, Danny Williams, Adam Sidlow, Adam Henry and Adrian Purtell also going over.

Scott Turner and Cory Aston went in for Sheffield but the Eagles were blown away on a disappointing afternoon for Mark Aston’s men.

Staying in West Yorkshire, London scored six tries to pull off a 32-12 win over Hunslet at the South Leeds Stadium.

Leeds Rhinos oanee Elliot Minichella got Andrew Henderson’s men off the mark, with further scores from Tom Gilmore, Wes Naiqama, Matt Garside and a pair from Rhys Williams.

Luke Briscoe and Simon Brown provided Hunslet’s response but they could not prevent the Hawks from falling to their seventh defeat of the season.

Elsewhere, Featherstone Rovers produced their finest performance of the season to overwhelm Workington Town 72-0 at the Big Fellas Stadium.

Jy Hitchcox scored a hat-trick while Alex Foster and Jamie Cording both got braces.

Iain Hardman, Andy Ellis, Nathan Chappell, Gareth Moore, Remy Marginet and Jack Bussey got their other touchdowns to help Rovers to their first home win of the season.

Doncaster remain winless after they were beaten 40-6 at Halifax. James Saltonstall got a brace for the former Super League side while Ryan Maneely, Ben Heaton, Ross Divorty, Gareth Potts, Scott Murrell and Tom Saxton also got four-pointers. Pasqualle Dunn offered Doncaster’s response but Paul Cooke’s men remain rooted to the foot of the table, four points adrift of their nearest rivals, Workington. 

Finally, Whitehaven produced a last-gasp win as they ran out surprise 24-22 winners over Batley Bulldgos at the Fox’s Biscuits Stadium. 

Batley’s tries came through James Craven‘s brace plus scores from Scott Leatherbarrow and Lee Mitchell, but Haven stayed in the game through a Declan Hulme brace and a four-pointer from James Newton.


Batley appeared to be heading for the points as the minutes ticked down to half time, but a last-minute try from Sam Brooks brought the visitors level before Grant Gore showed great composure to add the extras and win the game for Haven. A crucial two points which hauls the Cumbrians out of the bottom two. 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.