Championship round-up: London rescue draw at Sheffield, Batley continue to impress & Widnes see off Swinton

All but one side are off the mark after four rounds of Championship action. 

League leaders Toulouse’s home match against Featherstone was postponed due to the quarantine regulations that are currently in place in the UK. 

The RFL previously announced that part-time clubs wouldn’t have to travel to France until quarantine restrictions were lifted.

Below them, Batley maintained their fantastic start to the season and climbed up to second with a convincing 28-16 victory away at Newcastle

The Bulldogs led 10-6 at the break and extended their advantage further, with Alistair Leek crossing twice. Former Widnes half-back Tom Gilmore wrapped up victory after Thunder had reduced the deficit to six points heading into the final seven minutes.

Prop forward Steve Crossley scored twice as Bradford recorded their third win of the season away at Whitehaven.

Joe Brown, Brandon Pickersgill and Ebon Scurr also crossed in the 30-22 victory for John Kear’s Bulls, although two late tries for the hosts reduced the margin of defeat slightly.

Lebanon international Abbas Miski’s hat-trick helped London rescue a dramatic 20-20 draw away at Sheffield

Despite outscoring the home side by four tries to three, Danny Ward’s Broncos were reliant on a last-minute penalty goal from Maltese half-back Jarrod Sammut, who took over kicking duties from Chris Hankinson midway through the contest. 

READ: London and World Cup dreams snow joke for Lebanon international

Halifax‘s difficult start to the season continued after they were beaten 16-12 by Oldham.

Trailing 12-4 at half-time, the hosts fought back through Martin Reilly and Jack Croft, with Calum Green adding another four points from the boot.

Widnes ended their long wait for a first win of the season by recording a commanding 46-10 win at home to Swinton. 

Deon Cross bagged a double for the Vikings, with Kenny Baker, Brad O’Neill, Ste Tyrer, Ellis Robson, Shane Grady and Adam Lawton also getting in on the act.

In the final game of the round, York made it back-to-back victories with a hard-fought 30-20 triumph at Dewsbury. 

Matty Marsh crossed twice for the Knights, while Keiran Dixon added a try, four conversions and a penalty.

Championship round four results:

Oldham 16-12 Halifax Panthers 

Sheffield Eagles 20-20 London Broncos

Toulouse Olympique P-P Featherstone Rovers

Newcastle Thunder 16-28 Batley Bulldogs

Whitehaven 22-30 Bradford Bulls

Widnes Vikings 46-10 Swinton Lions

Dewsbury Rams 20-30 York City Knights

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.