Championship 1 round-up

London Skolars thrashed new-look North Wales Crusaders 66-16 at the New River Stadium.

North Wales were coming into this game on the back of a strong effort against Barrow, but were humiliated against a side that have infamously struggled on the field.

Dylan Skee and Lamont Bryan scored inside the first five minutes of the game to give the Skolars a commanding lead.

However John Paxton and Joe Price doubled extended home side’s lead to 22 before the first quarter of an hour.

Alex Bate and Brad Hopkins both scored just before half time to end the half 40 points up.

North Wales got back into the game in the second half, but anything they achieved was mere consolation. 

Lee Hudson scored a try sandwiched in between two Danny Hulme tries, but the Skolars weren’t finished as they dominated the second half as well as they did the first.

Tries from Chris McNamara, Matt Thomas, Rob Thomas and Skee’s second touch down finished the game off for London.



Workington got the better of South Wales Scorpions at The Gnoll with a 40-10 win.

Jamie Rooney was the only bright hope for the Scorpions, but his tries came in the second half as Town got underway after a strong opening few minutes.

Brett Phillips scored after 12 minutes and Mike Whitehead quickly doubled the away side’s lead.

Elliot Miller and Jamie Thackray scored just after the quarter game mark, before John Patrick and Stephen Dawes ended the first half with a 28 point lead.

Patrick scored his second with nearly 15 minutes of the second half played, before Jason Mossop concluded the Town scoring with 16 minutes remaining.



Gateshead are still looking for their first win against professional opposition after a 40-14 loss to Oldham.

The game remained close until the 19th minute when Paul Smith crossed for Oldham’s first of seven tries.

Paul Ballard scored a double either side of the half hour mark with Neil Roden scoring just before half time.

Miles Greenwood extended Oldham’s lead before Ryan Steen crossed for Thunder on 51 minutes.

Both teams began trading tries when Paul Noone scored five minutes later for Oldham, and Josh Neilson quickly replied for Gateshead.

Mike Mitchell added Gateshead’s third try of the afternoon before Greenwood scored his second with 13 minutes remaining.



Two late tries from Scott McAvoy sealed the win for Whitehaven after an awful start to the season so far.

Andreas Bauer posted Haven’s first try shy of 20 minutes but Gary Middlehurst equalised the Haven lead.

That was about as good as it got for Rochdale in the first half when Craig Calvert went in shortly before half time.

The second half dominance was too much for the Hornets when Calvert scored his second before McAvoy rounded off the match.

Dale Bloomfield scored for the Hornets but it was nothing more than a consolation try, even before McAvoy grabbed his double.



Barrow made it two wins from two with a 25-8 win over Doncaster.

Darren Holt scored his side’s final try of the game, as well as all four conversions and a drop goal.

Liam Campbell posted an early score inside the quarter of an hour mark, but Tom Hodson nullified the early lead for Doncaster.

Chris Larkin scored just before half time, and Aaron Low’s try just after the restart appeared to put the game out of reach for Doncaster.

Lee Waterman grabbed a consolation try before Holt scored his try to round off the match.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.