Championship 1 Review – Round 7

Hunslet Hawks remain top of Championship 1 after beating Swinton Lions 46-12 at the South Leeds stadium and are now five games unbeaten in all competitions.

Tries from Wayne McHugh, Tommy Haughey, Neil Lowe, Danny Grimshaw and Papua New Guinea international Charlie Wabo gave the home side a 28-6 half time lead.  Paul Smith was Swinton’s only first half try scorer. In the second half Neil Lowe grabbed his second for the Hawks whilst Richard Chapman and David March also scored.  March also kicked seven goals during the game.

Next week the Hawks face a home cup tie against Oldham who were impressive in their 22-16 win over South Wales Scorpions at The Gnoll and are now third in the table.

The first half saw Lucas Onyango, Danny Whitmore and Mick Fogerty all score tires for the away side to establish a 16-6 lead at the break.  A converted Steve Parry try was the only first half points for the Scorpions. A 54th minute try for Jason Boults for Oldham effectively ended the contest however tries for Craig Richards and Christian Roets brought the Scorpions within six points at the final whistle.

Blackpool Panthers are now eight games unbeaten in all competitions after their 32-12 away victory over Workington Town and sit second in the table.
Damien Munro scored two tries for the Panthers who also saw Paul Ballard, Carl Fober, Mark McCully and Danny Halliwell cross the whitewash.  Jonny Leather kicked four goals. The home side’s try scorers were Aaron Low and Ruairi McGoff while Scott Kaighan kicked two goals.

After two league defeats in a row Rochdale Hornets got back to winning ways scoring 13 tries in a 68-10 home win over London Skolars. Wayne English grabbed a hat trick whilst his team mate Chris Hough finished with 24 points after scoring two tries and kicking eight goals.

Other try scorers for the home side included Adam Bowman, Dean Gorton, Craig Johnson, Ryan Powell, Gareth Hayes, Danny Samuel, Danny Smith and Craig Ashall.

Doncaster moved up to fifth in the table with a 32-28 win at Gateshead, a victory they nearly threw away after leading 32-6 at one point. A brace of tries apiece for Tommy Griffiths and Aaron Henry together with a Ryan Steen try gave Doncaster a 26-6 half-time lead.

An early second half try by Jack Ely put the away side further in front however that is what kick started Thunder into a second half comeback.
Kevin Neighbour, Tom Wilson, Ade Aderiye and Will Bate also crossed the whitewash for the home side who can take heart from winning the second 22-6.

York City Knights who face Engage Super League side Crusaders RL in the Carnegie Challenge Cup next week received a bye this week and dropped from fourth to sixth in the table.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.