Challenge Cup round three wrap

Ryan Fieldhouse bagged five tries in a busy weekend of Challenge Cup round three action.

Fieldhouse got five as Barrow Raiders eased past Rochdale Mayfield 60-6 at Craven Park.

Mayfield did lead 6-4 on 18 minutes after Zak Hartley converted a Seta Tala try, but the Raiders rolled ahead thereafter.

Fieldhouse scored Barrow’s opening try and was on the scoresheet just before half time, before the full back bagged three more four-pointers in the second period.

Mayfield, Challenge Trophy winners in 2016, were in the game at half time, just 14-6 down, but 46 unanswered second-half points from the hosts saw them home.

Jarrad Stack (2), Brad Crellin, Danny Morrow, Decland Hulme and Lewis Charnock were all on the scoresheet, with Charnock adding eight goals.

Elsewhere, London Skolars beat local rivals Hemel Stags 22-12 away from home.

Billy Driver, Lamont Bryan, Aaron Small and Charlie Lawrence all got over for tries, with Lawrence kicking three goals to round off the scoring.

In Yorkshire, Cumbrians Egremont Rangers were beaten 48-8 at York City Knights.

Player-coach John-Paul Brocklebank and prop Matthew Henson were on the scoresheet for the NCL Premier Division side, who were 16-4 down at half time.

Ash Robson, David Foggin-Johnston and Brad Hey all scored twice for York, with Harry Carter, Nev Morrison, Danny Sowerby and Joe Batchelor aldo going over, Harry Tyson-Wilson struck four goals.

In Wales, a Casey Canterbury hat trick proved to be the difference as Oxford overcame South Wales Ironmen away from home.

Tom Alexander also scored for Oxford, with William Cooke kicking one goal – Paul Edwards scored South Wales’ consolation try.

Meanwhile, Hunslet Hawks shut out Coventry Bears 34-0 in West Yorkshire.

Cameron Leeming (2), Jack Lee, Marcus Webb, Joel Gibson and Liam Mackay scoring the tries, with Danny Ansell converting five goals.

Staying in Yorkshire, NCL Premier Division’s Myton Warriors put up a fight at Doncaster, eventually losing 34-6.

Nathan Slater got Myton’s try, but scores from Tom Carr, who kicked five goals, Aaron Jones-Bishop, Kieren Cross, Jason Tali, Chris Heil and Liam Welham got the hosts into round four.

Finally on Sunday, Gloucestershire All Golds were comfortable 36-18 winners at home to North Wales Crusaders.

Brad Kislingbury and Steve Parry both scored twice for the All Golds, who led 24-6 at the break.

Alex Gaskell, Joe McClean, Harry Kidd and Mo Agoro helped add extra gloss to the scoreline.

On Saturday Toronto Wolfpack were made to work for a gritty 14-6 win at Siddal, Keighley overcame Fryston Warriors 50-32, Newcastle Thunder edged out Workington Town 18-16, while West Hull put up a fight against Whitehaven, losing 18-16 on home turf.

And North West Men’s League champions Haydock are the last remaining community club still in the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup after they beat London outfit Wests Warriors 26-12 on the road.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.