Catalans 40-24 Wigan

Catalans claimed a comfortable victory as Wigan failed to resurrect themselves after their defeat at home to St Helens last Thursday.

The home side dominated throughout to make it an unhappy Easter for Brian Noble’s side, securing a 40-24 win.

A try from Dimitri Pelo gave the Dragons an early lead although Thomas Bosc narrowly sailed his kick wide to leave the score at 4-0.

The lead was soon cancelled out in the seventh minute as utility back Amos Roberts dived over in the corner for his ninth try of the season after a tidy move featuring quick passing from Mark Riddell and captain Sean O’Loughlin. Pat Richards’ kick just missed leaving the score at 4-4.

The visitors soon hit the front after a rapid break upfield. The ball broke to prop forward Andy Coley who made a superb break towards the line, before offloading to Karl Pryce who fed Shaun Ainscough to cross the whitewash to make it 8-4.

New signing Martin Gleeson then scored his first try since the move to his hometown club following a neat interchange of passes with Roberts sent him clear through the middle. Richards converted to give Wigan a handy looking 14-4 advantage.

But Catalans replied immediately with a try from Greg Bird, his second of this campaign, which was set up and converted by Thomas Bosc to bring the home side within four points of the Warriors.

The Dragons then took the lead for the second time in the game, Gregory Mounis finishing a move after great work from Casey McGuire. Bosc kicked his second goal of the game to make it 16-14.

Weak tackling from Wigan was exposed by Jason Ryles as he bowled over the line for a controversial try after video referee Stuart Cummings ruled the try to be legitimate. Bosc’s kicking proved consistent and he converted yet again.  

An inventive kick from Thomas Bosc gifted Clint Greenshields a superb try to kill the game off, Bosc adding the extras to put Catalans out of reach at 28-14.

Evidence grew of each team tiring as the tries dried up in the second half. Wigan attempted to get back into the game but the French side proved to be resilient in defence.

Greenshields got his name on the scoresheet again after a sublime pass from Jason Ryles, superbly scooping the ball to his right whilst in mid-air to see the Australian full-back bundle over the line. Bosc scored the kick once again to stretch the lead to 34-14.

The side from Perpignan turned the game into a rout as Jason Ryles got his second try of the game, but Wigan grabbed a consolation in the 77th minute, with 20-year-old Sam Tomkins going over for his third try of the season.

Pat Richards rounded off the scoring with another consolation try for the Warriors, but it was little reward for a disappointing weekend for the Wigan fans.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.