Catalan thrash sorry Hull KR

Catalan ended Hull KR‘s season and also Justin Morgan’s tenure at the Robins with an emphatic 56-6 victory in the south of France this evening.

Hull KR started the brighter after Sam Latus made an excellent break, but couldn’t get the ball away to Jake Webster before the tackle was made.

On the next tackle, veteran forward Steve Menzies intercepted a pass for the hosts, ran 70 metres before unselfishly passing to Damian Blanch who scored in the corner, even though Menzies could have touched down himself. Scott Dereau unsuccessful with the conversion attempt from the touchline.

Blanch turned from hero to villain minutes later after dropping an easy Clint Greenshields pass with the try line begging.

The hosts did cross on the 10 minute mark with Menzies crashing over from 10 metres out after collecting a short pass from Thomas Bosc. Dereau successful with the boot on this occasion to put the hosts 10-0 up.

Catalan scored again on 15 minutes with Blanch crossing for his second in the corner after a serious of sweeping passes before the ball reached the winger who touched down well.

On 25 minutes, Hull KR substitute Jordan Cox received lengthy treatment after a bad clash with Catalan prop Remi Casty. The Hull KR youngster, who was knocked out after the head clash, was helped off the field to good applause.

Moments later, 37-year-old Menzies crashed over for this second of the evening after a lovely reverse flick pass from Dereau to put the second-rower in the for try. A successful conversion by the Super League Dream Team scrum half put the hosts 20-0 in the lead.

In a bizarre twist, referee James Child left the field shortly after Menzies’ try after complaining of feeling ill, with Robert Hicks replacing him.

Dereau extended the score to 22-0 by slotting over a penalty after Hull KR‘s Ben Fisher held on too long in the tackle.

From the resulting restart, Craig Hall kicked out on the full which in turn gave the hosts prime position to take advantage and mount another attack.

The Dragons should have made Rovers pay after Blanch had a chance to collect the ball and touch down in the corner, however the Australian winger just couldn’t bring the ball in to touch down leaving the half time score at 22-0.

Catalan picked up where they left off in the second half after Daryl Millard scored in the corner on the first set of six, Dereau adding the extras from out wide.

Minutes later, Catalan extended their lead further after young hooker Eloi Pelissier scooted over from the play of the ball to touch down, Dereau again adding the extras.

The visitors did get on the scoresheet with Craig Hall finishing well outwide after receiving a pass from Kris Welham 15 metres out. Michael Dobson slotting over the conversion to leave the score at 34-6 in favour of the hosts.

Hall’s try didn’t spark a revival and Catalan soon crossed again, this time through Sebastian Raguin with Dereau again converting.

On 62 minutes, Cyrial Stacul superbly touched down in the corner for a converted try, despite Shaun Briscoe‘s best efforts to force the winger into touch.

Just before the 70 minute mark, the Dragons hit 50 when Clint Greenshields touched down under the sticks after collecting Dereau’s kick which ricocheted of Dobson. The scrum-half added the two points to take the score to 52-6 to the Dragons.

Damian Blanch ended the scoring by latching onto the end of a Dereau kick to touch down for his hat-trick. Dereau missed the conversion from out wide to leave the final score at 56-6 to Catalan who progress to the next round of the play-offs.

For KR though, it is the end of an era as Justin Morgan leaves the club after six seasons in charge, and captain Mick Vella retiring after been with the Robins since 2007.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.