Castleford 40-18 Hull

Castleford Tigers coach Terry Matterson admitted that his side still “had work to be done” despite their resounding 40-18 victory over Hull FC at The Jungle this afternoon.

Rangi Chase continued his excellent form grabbing two tries, and played a leading role in the Tigers’ attack as they rattled a toothless Hull side to edge closer towards the play-offs and leave the visitors stuck in the wrong end of the table.

The Airlie Birds were lacking in attack at times and the side were booed off by supporters at both half-time and full-time as they crashed to yet another disappointing defeat.

It took the Tigers just five minutes to open their account, Chase gifted an interception pass to race in from 20 metres.

They continued to dominate Richard Agar’s men and racked up three further tries before Hull started to rally.

Craig Huby latched onto the returning captain Ryan Hudson‘s deft chip to grab the Tigers’ second try, before Michael Wainwright crossed in the corner after some good passing work down the Hull flank.

Defence was always an issue with Hull, and that view was further enhanced when Ryan Clayton was allowed to burst through a gap and Hudson got on the scoresheet with some excellent support.

Hull were lucky in some respects that the Tigers did not punish them further, as three times the Tigers were denied tries by the officials.

Ex-Cas player Willie Manu did grab some hope shortly before the hooter, stepping his way over from short range but that was short-lived as Chase grabbed his second showing quick footwork to dart over.

Determination was not lacking from the Hull side, and they did manage to get another score through Kirk Yeaman after the Tigers’ defence went awry.

But Michael Shenton ended matters with minutes remaining with the England international running a superb line to hit the hole after Ryan McGoldrick‘s pass.

Wainwright grabbed his second late on to cap a good personal performance, but Hull did manage to salvage some last minute pride when a McGoldrick pass on the full-time siren was juggled by Jodie Broughton who ran sixty metres to score.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.